Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying one of these.
I have and use the wand type vaporizer, but I'm ready to spend a little extra for the speed and convenience of the ProVap.
For those of you who use one, what is the preferred way to power it out in your yards? Small generator?, Inverter plugged into your vehicle? What specific equipment do you use?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Honda EU2200i - 1800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator runs forever, and can be used for other purposes, now if I just could get it to start below 0 it would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use a 2000 Watt power inverter.Clamps to battery post on pickup or 4 wheeler with an extension cord and go to town.Works good and its quick,light weight and portable. 38 hives and cant tell a drain on the battery like it did using a wand.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I like an inverter (a generator is one more thing that won't start in the field :)) A 400-800w one from Harbor Freight cost about $25 and always works. Connect it to your battery, run an extension cord to the PV and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like an inverter (a generator is one more thing that won't start in the field :)) A 400-800w one from Harbor Freight cost about $25 and always works. Connect it to your battery, run an extension cord to the PV and you're ready to go.
Yes, it's a trade off.
Inverter: Easy to power with vehicle battery but limited life.
Generator: Unreliable but long running time.

You pick based on your needs. I have been stranded on the yard with dead battery in my Jeep so I choose the generator route.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There is an easy fix to being stranded in your bee yard because of a run down battery.Try starting regularly to check you battery.Had to do that when using a wand.Inverters have a 10 year minimum life expectancy so the life expectancy is not so bad.Mine will outlast me.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not starting and having to make sure I have gas was two reasons I went with the inverter.Also at almost 70 pulling and not cranking is a big problem and a torn rotor cuff is another.Inverters are light weight also.You can and I am doing it now is mounting under the hood and then when using just raise the hood and turn on and plug in the extension cord.I am putting eyelets on the cables so its bolted down to the battery.If I had to do it over I would buy a higher wattage inverter. 2000w will run a drill but not the circular saw.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply's!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts