Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a jig or gimmick for power washing plastic or wood frames with plastic foundation other than chasing them down on your lawn/driveway with your power washer?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Left foot.

I got tired of scraping comb and washing plastic and switched back to wax.
2 days in the solar melter gets me a block of wax and they are
ready for new foundation.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anyone have a jig or gimmick for power washing plastic or wood frames with plastic foundation other than chasing them down on your lawn/driveway with your power washer?
Larry, I started out with wax foundation. It does NOT hold up well in the extractor and over time. I have found that my bees draw out the black plastic foundation that comes waxed in the wood frames faster than the wax foundation. The black plastic frames are a close 2nd. I have been just scraping off buggered up foundation and let the bees rebuild it but perhaps this is what may be a good method for you. I will certainly be giving it a try. It's nothing new. Soak & Save Pressure Washing Foundation

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just last weekend I used my power washer to clean up a dead out that was full of wax moth larvae and their lovely residue. I put a large political sign on the lawn and on top of that placed two concrete blocks at a right angle. I wedged in the equipment for washing and it held both the boxes and frames well enough in place to make short work of the process. I use wooden frames with plastic foundation.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Crofter
At current rates,I'm paying about $0.92 per med sheet of wax foundation vs no $$ cost to clean plastic.
However,with no pressure washer,there is no aggravation cost of trying to scrape and brush plastic.In the past I had taken frames to work to pressure wash and that was a hassle.There is also the need to rewax the plastic.
Time wise,it's about the same.
Now,comb replacement is pleasant winter work.Bake the frames in the heat of the summer,no real work there.The remaining cocoons and wires come out quite easily once the top bar "wedge" is removed and a simple scrape of the top bar ledge and split bottom bar.I can do maybe 4 boxes/ hr in my hoophouse on a sunny Jan day and the same amount of time installing new foundation in my basement shop with a beverage of my choice.
Though plastic gives straighter comb,I find my bees draw wax faster.

There is a huge ecological cost to plastic.It is made from oil,the refining and manufacturing creates many pollutants and we have a serious disposal problem.
Plastic recycling is a huge scam on the public by the chemical industry.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I hot wash frames in a plastic shopping cart.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I built a rack that hold 6 deep foundations or 8 medium foundations. You can only pressure wash one side at a time. The foundation comes out clean and ready to be re-waxed. But you will get wet and covered with wax and cocoon debris. I found if you lay the rack down on a hard surface (deck, driveway, etc), you don't get as much debris on you as you pressure wash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts