Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to stick some hives in a very nice location...
Except I would be verynear (almost underneath)some cross-country powerlines.
Any thoughts?:s

·
Registered
433 Posts
people are split into two groups. those who beleive in facts and science and those who beleive in faith based ideas that have no facts.

there are no large body of facts that show EMF is a problem for bees near cell towers or power lines.

if you want to beleive there is you can find junk science though to back up that fantasy. www.rense.com would be a good place to find that kind of nonsense.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Say it Brother Bud. I'm one of those religious nuts who's faith is in science.

nasal, I thought that Bud was quite reserved and even handed. Compared to how I would have said that. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I love power line bee yards. Free mowing and the access is usually good. I avoid the ones that have trails due to vandals.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The only reason I would not put them there is if there was no nectar or pollen bearing plants close enough for them to gather it. That is neither scientific nor religous, just a fact.:D

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I guess I wouldn't put them under power lines that are sprayed to keep down plant/tree growth. Also, I don't like the noise. Can't tell if it is the lines or the bees. So I guess I would hesitate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I guess I don't follow Valleyman's comment about near by floral sources. I've got a group almost beneath some mainline transmission lines with floral sources all around. Remember, they do travel quite some distance foraging. The problems I see: possible chemical application, but none of the transmission lines that I know of get that treatment out here, your areas may be different. Second, if/when the lines need maintenance, the bees could be a deterrent to the maintenance or repair crews. Our line service crew expressed some disappointment with my hives right under some lines serving a handful of irrigation wells... the meter reader wasn't upset, he's a customer and he was closer to the action than the crew regularly. Third, the EMF scare scenario is bunk... I'm with Bud here. Probably other reasons not to be concerned, but it's late. Happy Independence Day, one and all.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Access to many of the Powerline Right of Way around here is blocked off by gates. I think this is to deter 4 wheelers from using them for fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The location really interests me. 100+ ACRE ALFALFA FEED , UNDERSEEDED WITH DUTCH CLOVER. Butting up agaist a creek and wetlands. Wind is an issue.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
people are split into two groups. those who beleive in facts and science and those who beleive in faith based ideas that have no facts.

there are no large body of facts that show EMF is a problem for bees near cell towers or power lines.

if you want to beleive there is you can find junk science though to back up that fantasy. www.rense.com would be a good place to find that kind of nonsense.
(depends on the faith you refer to)
Of course "science" is not faith at all. We know they are right and we have no reason to think they are wrong.
Oh to be open minded - then I can stop thinking as well.....

Seems "science" is the group that started the whole EMF thing.... err.. I guess I shouldn't point that out - makes them look like a bunch of quacks playing unthinking people for all they can get... no..no.. stop thinking.
Rationally if you go with the only thing that hasn't been wrong you wind up with God's Word.... ohh... did it again.... no thinking allowed.

As for the original question by the thread author -
I would probably go for it. I would FIRST ask the electric company when it was last tended and how the schedule is worked. As far as I know just about all use chemicals after a cut to retard the growth of trees and brush.

Our local system I believe cuts and chemicals every 3 years.

Mike

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have an apiary right under power lines. They have been there for three years now and haven't had any problems. They also sprayed there last year, but whatever it was had no affect on my colonies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I kept several bees under powerlines for many years and only had one problem. The power company came along and used heavy equipment to clear the bushes and small trees under the lines. Their rotary cutters were on long arms and they could not see my hives until after they destroyed most of them. They paid me for the damage, but it was still pretty upsetting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most products used by the Power company or contracted company will be a Herbacide, not an inceticide which is a good start. Now some of the herbicides and how they are applied can have some effect on the bees. Some procuts are aplplied with oils, others a water base, also some of the products themslves have solvents in them which might harm bees.

I would guess that most herbicides would be less damaging than an insecticide.

Bryn

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have bees along the nortern edge of powerline facing south. I keep the right of way cut in front of my hives so there is no need for the power co to disturb my hives, they just drive by when they are cutting or spraying. Less work for them.

Johnny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts