Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 6 tons of powdered suger that was given to me. Can I mix this with water and feed to bees? I have 9 pallets. not sure what to do with it. I only have 20 hives, so it might last me a while.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
so it might last me a while.
:lpf:I would think so, I know people that make patties out of PS and lag on top of topbars.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would be careful feeding powdered sugar, it usually contains cornstarch which could plug them up internally and going into winter without many cleansing opps. they could end up in a bad way..hope this helps,,,,But on the brighter side you can do powder sugar dusting for mites till the cows come home :lookout:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have bought a 50 gallon drum of sugar before that was powdered because it was ground up in coveyor belts not because it was intended for sale as powdered sugar, so it didnt have the cornstarch in it. i thought it was the best of both worlds, good for feed and dusting. but I did notice that it took more volume(almost three quarters of a quart full) to make my feed the same specific gravity as 1:1 with granulated sugar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The powder suger came from a pharmacutical company, and on the side it says (no starch.) Thats why they wanted to get rid of it. It is in 50# bags but they are like big bricks. I opened one up and broke it apart and it mixed just as easy as granulated suger does.

I also got 2500#s of corn suger from them. Does anybody know anything about it?

I'm assuming that its suger made from corn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts