Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the beekeepers commercial and hobbyist taking it in the shorts from torrents of rain. Even though nothing grows or happens without water, I have watched my hives floating down the crick and was busy trying to rope them and pull to shore before they got in the fast water. Hopefully your bees will survive to enjoy the bounty the rain will eventually bring.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sorry for the beekeepers commercial and hobbyist taking it in the shorts from torrents of rain. Even though nothing grows or happens without water, I have watched my hives floating down the crick and was busy trying to rope them and pull to shore before they got in the fast water. Hopefully your bees will survive to enjoy the bounty the rain will eventually bring.
Vance,

We hear you! We heard that some beekeepers along the coast discovered large number of their colonies under water due to flooding. Ouch!

Presently, in our area, many almond orchards are at 80-100% bloom. I feel a bit sorry for the almond growers because I think this massive rain will affect their almond harvest. Feb. snow fall in the sierra's has broken many written records, so that is good news in regards to alleviating the drought. [Mammoth Ski Resort at nearly 50 ft of snow total for this year].

We placed our colonies on pallets on the high part of the orchards, so no problems. Also, we have been inspecting bi-weekly. Finally, we are still doing massive feeding [both sugar blocks and ML pollen sub]. With all the rain bees do not appear to get much flight time, so limited amount of nectar and pollen even though there is a massive bloom.

Finally, we notice large numbers of dead bees at the entrances within 4 days of placement. Not sure what did that, but the queens are far outlaying the losses, so that is good news.

I have some questions about trucking bees to northern states for a summer flow...can you answer some of our questions if we PM you?

Thanks,

Soar

1 - 2 of 2 Posts