Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear some beekeepers state they harvested 50# of honey, while others state they harvested 5 gallons of honey. Can someone tell me how much does a gallon of honey weigh?
Better yet does anyone know how much a medium frame yields and the yield of a deep?

We all know a gallon of feathers is far different than a gallon of pea gravel. Honey? I'm clueless!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Honey averages close to 12 lbs/ gallon. Our sales are based on weight. A deep frame full of capped honey is supposed to weigh 10 lbs. A full medium super is supposed to have 30 lbs of honey in it. I say "supposed" because I have found the weights less than that stated.
Dave

·
Registered
319 Posts
I weigh the first few mediums supers of honey every year after I extract and on average medium frames are 3.5 # some thick some thin but average 3.5# of extracted honey.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
500 gm of honey is 375 ml

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
There is some variation in density of honey depending on nectar source and water content. I like the imperial gallon for calculation since it is 10 pounds of water per gallon or close around 14 pounds of honey. A lot of what gets called 5 gallon pails is only five of those puny 140 oz. Us Gallons.:lookout:

I still dont think metric for a lot of my reference but metric calculations are much easier if you dont try to flip flop and mix and match it with all the various historic systems still being used.

Medium 10 frame boxes that are a mix of first time and older frames we find yield a bit over 30 pounds net. I think you would need to pick a very choice plump deep frame to get 10 pounds from it. Maybe one that was capped when spaced 8 or 9 frames to a 10 frame deep body. Many deep frames dont seem to get filled to all the corners so I think 70 pounds net honey from a deep is closer to normal average in our climate.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
> A lot of what gets called 5 gallon pails is only five of those puny 140 oz. Us Gallons.:lookout:

An actual US gallon is really puny because is is only 128 ounces. :D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I don't know about other states but I suspect that most states like mine (Tennessee) requires labeling of honey for sale by weight, not volume. Hence a 60 pound pail (five gallon).

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
I bought a new-to-me [30 year old] chainsaw that is manufacturer spec'd at 16:1 gas/oil mix. My other more modern saw is 50:1 mix. So I had to revise my routines for fuel mix, and that made me very aware of ounces per gallon. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts