Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a newbee simple things need asking

when a beekeeper says a hive made 100 pounds of honey does that include what was let for the bees, or is that what was taken off?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if any persone that does not know about bees had any idea of how much nectar it takes to make one pound of honey and how much work just one bee had to do to gather that nectar they would be amazed.
And just maybe appreciate bees and the very important role they play in the whole food chain.

And just maybe the very important work beekeepers do.

I so wish people would see honeybees as important
and not pests that need to be removed or killed.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
>>>if any persone that does not know about bees had any idea.....

they'd realize they are getting bargain with the honey prices.

Dan

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe those in North Dakota count just what was taken off... but many beekeepers in areas with less honey production remove ALL the honey (and that's what they count). They then feed sugar water in the fall to get the bees over winter.

So, sometimes the figure you hear is the entire production amount. I hear pretty often that you make more money by removing all the honey (at $3 a pound), and replacing it with sugar (at 40 cents a pound).

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
If they removed ALL the honey, then they wasted it. A lot of it was uncapped and mixed with pollen. "BEE BREAD" Totally useless. I doubt anyone takes it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts