Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hive #1:
This is the original split that Hambone and I made. It is going strong, saw the queen, she looks GREAT and I think I saw some eggs with royal jelly in there. Was hard to tell as the comb was a little on the dark side and I was in the shade. Lots of pollen and nectar coming in.

Went to fill up the new nuc sized hive top feeder I built and OPPS, one side had a crack that I did not see when I was sealing it up. Lots of sugar syrup all over the hive. The other side still held though. Cleaned up a bit and seems to be going great. Entrance reduced a little more to help them control robbers from the syrup spill.

Hive #2:
Did not see the queen, but I "think" I saw some eggs. Lots of pollen, bee bread, and nectar. They were chewing on the side of a queen cell I had missed, so thats why I assume they have a queen and are doing well. This one had a full frame of honey that I put on them, so I did not and any syrup. (should I add syrup, or should they be okay?)

Hive #3:
Only about 50 or less bees. Dunno what happened. But the moment I opened this one up I got a stinger right in the arm. So instead of playing nice, and considering with so few bees and absolutely no signs of a queen, I decided to shake this one out and replace the two foundationless frames in hive #2 with a frame of honey and the frame of brood from this hive. I then put the last frame of honey from hive #3 in the freezer for later feeding. (Hambone, these were the bees from that mean hive we were having issue with. The first one we opened up.)

On the plus side, I now have room in my home yard for any swarm calls I get AND I now have a second yard I can put a few hives on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something I forgot to add. I did see some Small Hive beetles, these hives are in the shade, but thats about the only place in my yard I can put them.

What are my options with SHB, and how much of a concern should they be?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Just saw your post. Bet #3 migrated to 1 or 2. Sounds like things are going good unless #2 has no eggs. You might want to inspect tomorrow. Last "decent" day for the next 4-5.

Your best option on the SHB is to keep them tight. Mig tops, lots of bees. Don't give them room unless theey need it. Might try some D.E. under the hives.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question, what is D.E.?

They seem to be doing great population wise. Just trying to keep them packed in, but also have enough room that they don't want to swarm. I'll check them tomorrow as we are leaving for a little over a week on Saturday to go down to Galveston.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts