Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced an increased response to bee stings after receiving the Covid vaccine? I’ve never had much response to stings, unless I got hit in a particularly sensitive spot, such as the nose or around the eyes.
I got the 2nd Pfizer shot 2 weeks ago. 2 days after the shot I took a sting on the back of my right hand and noticed swelling/redness for 2-4 days. That’s never happened before. Yesterday I got stung on a finger on my left hand and my whole hand is swollen and red.
I’m wondering if the bee venom is reacting with the vaccine. Anyone heard of or experienced this?
Im not sure it is related to the vaccine but the timing makes me wonder.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The venom wouldn't react to the vaccine itself, but the vaccine is putting your immune system into a major training session, so I could see that your immune system would be hyper-responsive to foreign invaders (venom) before settling down again. If these reactions chill out over time, then you'll have a pretty good idea. I hope they do (the alternative would be less desirable for a beekeeper).

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
165 Posts
No change in reaction for me, but my second Pfizer shot was January 20, and my first sting was last Friday, so quite a while between.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
No stings for me either yet, but it looks like the blackflies are starting a little early this year. They got to me while I was prying my tractor out of the mud, wasn't expecting them yet so I didn't have any bug dope on. The bites don't seem to be any better or worse than usual.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Very interesting.

Just wondering HivBeetle, since nobody else is reporting the same thing, could be coincidence your bees have particularly toxic venom ATM, my own bees stings will change with the seasons.

Course it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that while your immune system is responding to the vaccine it is also responding more to bee venom. Perhaps, I don't really know.

Certainly wouldn't stop me getting the vaccine though!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just wondering HivBeetle, since nobody else is reporting the same thing, could be coincidence your bees have particularly toxic venom ATM, my own bees stings will change with the seasons.
Interesting. Any idea why that would be OT?

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Can't say for sure. I speculate it may be down to what they are eating at the time, but I don't know.

2 months ago when I was removing this seasons honey crop (it's fall over here), some of the stings were really painful they were making me wince. Yesterday I was working some hives and showing some interested non beekeepers, got stung a couple of times, hardly even felt them. I was talking to someone while I watched a bee fly down and sting me on the arm, it was so non painful that I continued talking uninterupted thinking it hadn't really got me yet, then said here's how you get a sting out and flicked it out with a hive tool, gotta say barely noticed it.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
I've been told their sting hurts more the older they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No change here. About a week after receiving my second Pfizer shot I was collecting a swarm and got hit a few times on the leg. Typical reaction for me.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Can't say for sure. I speculate it may be down to what they are eating at the time, but I don't know.

2 months ago when I was removing this seasons honey crop (it's fall over here), some of the stings were really painful they were making me wince. Yesterday I was working some hives and showing some interested non beekeepers, got stung a couple of times, hardly even felt them. I was talking to someone while I watched a bee fly down and sting me on the arm, it was so non painful that I continued talking uninterupted thinking it hadn't really got me yet, then said here's how you get a sting out and flicked it out with a hive tool, gotta say barely noticed it.
I never really know other than particular areas of the body what is causing the pain differential. I'm usually in a t-shirt and a sting just above my waist, or anything within an inch of my nose is usually a doozy. My arms primarily take the brunt and if I get the stinger out quickly it's usually not bad. But every now and then I'll get an interesting exception. You may have something here.

I hope the vaccine doesn't provoke a long-term reaction. I've had covid and will get the vaccine soon. When our son had it a few months ago I used 5 stings a day to invoke an immune response in myself. Didn't catch it then but if bee stings made you immune I wouldn't have caught it 2 months later. I get stung frequently.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
377 Posts
Have any of Yall noticed if your reactions to stings are less when your eating honey or pollen on a regular basis.
Last year I had some reactions to stings that would have made anybody wonder if they could keep bees or not. Like sting on the wrist then swelling to the shoulder.
But then I started eating honey on a regular basis, and I haven't had but the slightest of reactions.
Another time I had a bee get inside my veil, crawled through my beard and got me on the corner of my jaw. Same thing. Luckily it swelled down my neck and to my shoulder. That was a slobber knocker!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No difference. Moderna.

I have noticed that early season stings seem give a slightly greater reaction than those that come later in the season. I have always attributed that to developing resistance to stings and losing a little of that in the "off season." But, while I certainly get stung more in spring and summer, I get stung roughly every month of the year. "Off season" is a little bit of a myth in south Alabama.

OT's post now has me wondering if the food source is what is driving the differences in reaction.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thinking about it, it seems I usually get a more painful sting, or stings, depending on their attitude at the time. If they act like they want me dead, stings seem to be higher on the ouch scale. If all is calm and I get a sting that seems to come when the general colony attitude is calm, not so bad. Maybe it's me being more on edge when I know I am not welcome. Could be my imagination too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses folks. I’ll keep watching my response to stings and hope that this goes back to normal.
One solution would be to suit up but that’s hard to do in Florida. I’m usually in shorts and a t-shirt.
We’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Has anyone experienced an increased response to bee stings after receiving the Covid vaccine? I’ve never had much response to stings, unless I got hit in a particularly sensitive spot, such as the nose or around the eyes.
I got the 2nd Pfizer shot 2 weeks ago. 2 days after the shot I took a sting on the back of my right hand and noticed swelling/redness for 2-4 days. That’s never happened before. Yesterday I got stung on a finger on my left hand and my whole hand is swollen and red.
I’m wondering if the bee venom is reacting with the vaccine. Anyone heard of or experienced this?
Im not sure it is related to the vaccine but the timing makes me wonder.
no change

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.