Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single hive that has had a fairly large SHB population but have never seen any larva in the frames. I have removed frames and frozen the adults to control the most recent spike in population however I was looking into other options. I had experience with SHB traps and have ordered some to put in the hive however I had seen online that Wintergreen oil would work to kill off the SHB. I don't know if this is true and would like input to allow me to better treat the infestation. I found the site here, https://beekeepclub.com/how-to-get-rid-of-hive-beetles-the-beginners-guide/ . Thanks for any input or responses you can give.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have not heard of any chemical treatments for SHBs, especially oils. The best defense against them is a strong, crowded hive. If you have a lot of empty space in the hive, the bees can't guard it and they can hide in those spaces. The beetle blasters with the oil work okay (they drown in the oil) but I have had a lot of good luck with placing Swiffer sheets in the corners of the boxes on top of the frames. The spines in their legs get stuck in the Swiffer and they starve to death. The bees are strong enough to not get stuck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have used swiffer sheets, oil traps and cd traps. They all work but, for my colonies, the cd traps work best. I use 2 per colony, one on the back of the bottom board and one above the open inner cover. Be sure to place the bottom board cd trap all the way to the back so it stays well clear of the oav wand if you use that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts