Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to move just a queen cell - or do I need to move the full frame?

I got a queen less hive but another hive has some capped cells, but don't want to move the full frames if I can avoid it

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've done it. You have to cut out about 2 inches on each side of the cell. The bees have usually repaired that spot. The 2 inches should give you enough to squeeze into a new frame without damaging the Q cell.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Do as Hawk suggested. I did and it worked for me.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trouble is I am using plastic foundation. That means the top of the queen cell is actualy up against the plastic. Perhaps if I cut thru the plastic around the cell it would work, but then probably best to just take the full frame

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
It all depends on your foundation or lack of it. If you have no foundation, yes. If you have wax with no wires, most likely. If you have wax with wires, you can if it's not on a wire. If you have plastic, probably not.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>just currious, why don't you want to transfer the frame?

Having been in this position I'll volunteer. Because the frame may have from three to thirty queen cells on it and you don't want to waste the queens.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If you have plastic foundation or Pierco plastic frames, could you use a spiral saw to cut out a queen cell without damaging the cell and other cells on the frame? My spiral saw operates without much vibration and it is very easy to control it's direction.

I'm thinking of using it after raising queen cells using the Hopkins method on plastic foundation. Has anyone tried the spiral saw approach?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have also transferred a cell from Duragilt foundation. I got ready to cut out the cell and hit something. Then I noticed the metal band on the edge of the frame. The frame was completely drawn with just a little of the metal band showing.

I pushed just a little harder and the knife went right through (sharp tip on the knife). It was actually pretty easy to cut the plastic core.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts