Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I find queen cells or cups (or unopened swarm cells) in a strong hive, would it be workable to "excise" the cell/cup and move it to a hive where I'm not seeing new larvae or a queen? I would have to mold the cell into wax foundation of its new home, and that could be tricky.

Seems I've heard the cell has to be in a certain orientation, and there's no way I could replicate that if I'm manually doing a switcheroo of a queen cell to foundation in a different colony.

If the colony is only weak -- a queen is present but I don't see her -- would the workers kill an "alien" larva in an introduced cell?

Worth a try anyhow? :scratch:

Thx for any thoughts on this; it may make no sense, but at least it's sincere ....

Mitch

·
Registered
613 Posts
Some people do it. It is easier if you don't have plastic foundation.

Cut out the cell with a little extra "flange" above the cell. Push your finger into the comb of the recipient frame to make a depression. Gently put the cell into the depression, and push the "flange" into the comb above it to hold it into place.

Orientation? Vertical.

If there is a live queen in the hive, the end result would be death of one or the other, or both. I would find the queen and remove her to a nuc before doing the cell transfer.

That all said, I swap frames as meeves suggested.

·
Registered
306 Posts
As others have said swapping frames is by far the easiest. If transferring, try to wait until the queen cell is capped before you transfer. If the receiving hive is weak, it may not have the strength to properly care for an uncapped QC. It seems like trying to cut out a queen cup wouldn’t be worth the trouble. Just grab a frame of eggs from another hive and drop into the queenless hive. They will make an emergency cell in no time if they are queenless.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx a heap for the input, guys; the frame-swap sounds like the easiest, by far, and seems pretty logical (esp. logistically) to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree swap frames.

But does the weak hive have a queen? Why is the hive weak? If it has a laying queen and everything else looks ok, you could also swap a frame of capped brood, or of eggs and larvae, to boost the weak hive. And as Nelsonhoneyfarms says, if you don't know if you're queenless, the eggs/larvae will help you find out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts