Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
This is my first post here but have been lurking this forum for a few months and have picked up some great tips. The reason I post now is that I'm panicking abit about one of my hives.

This is my first year keeping bees and I recently installed 2 packages about a month ago. Unfortunately one of the queens never made it and I had to replace her.
I bought a new one through the post and did the slow introduction thing, with the candy and all seemed to go well.

The problem is that today, I opened the hive 10 days after opening the candy on the queen cage, and I was expecting to see plenty of eggs/larve and possibly some capped brood.
While I did find all of these things, including the queen who seemed to be doing quite well and seemed to be being attended by the other bees ok, the only capped brood I could see was drones and the pattern was very patchy. There were about 4 frames with brood, all of which were drones. There are some links to photos I took of a frame at the bottom.
So this is what is worrying me. Is this normal of a newly installed queen? I heard that it can take a week or so for her to get into the rhythm of laying which is what I am hoping, but I'm also thinking there could be some problem with the queen. She is a Carnolian, and I am in Scotland if information is of any use.

Hoping some of you experienced beekeepers can give me some advice on what to do.

Picture 1
Picture 2

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Are you sure that's drone brood? I can't tell for sure on my small phone but I'm thinking it's OK. However, if others (with larger screens and better eyes) can tell for sure, I might give her a few more days and then think about replacing her. I've certainly had queens that take a long time to start laying but I don't recall one that started laying only drones and then "corrected" herself. Others may have had different experiences.

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey rick it is spotty there see one drone.i see worker brood id give her a little bit of time to she what she'll do it's only been 10 or so days.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Sounds like your second queen is a failure too. It is disheartening but not hopeless since you have another colony. I would take a frame of eggs from your other colony and brush or gently wiggle/shake the bees off and transfer them to the drone layers colony. I would kill the queen if she is easy to find and smash down the domed drone brood. Too many drones in a colony really can disrupt things.

The bees will select a two day old larvae and 11 days later a virgin will emerge and take another couple of weeks to harden, get mated and start laying. A second frame of just eggs in a week will help your colony and can be born by the other if the queen is laying strongly.

The alternative is to find another queen and go thru the introduction process again. It usually only speeds things up by a week unless the queen can be obtained immediately. Best of luck and welcome to the forum. Vance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for responding and the welcome!

It is probably hard to tell from the pictures as the light is quite flat, but the caps did seem rounded and popping out. I hope you are right and that I am just seeing a problem where there is none.
You said that it is still early and I should give her some more time. If this is drone brood, is it possible there were laying workers prior to me installing the queen that made the drones?
It does seem strange that there is capped brood spread over about 4 frames, when the queen has only been out of the cage for 10 days.

I really hope it does not come to that Vance! If it does though, that is exactly what I will do, as I feel I wouldn't want to buy another queen if this one is indeed a failure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ALL capped brood will be a little rounded. Drone brood is QUITE rounded and sticks out by 3/16 or so (looks like Kix cereal stuffed in the cells). Only a few of the cells in the picture are that prominent and those are out towards the edge (as would be expected). You definitely don't have a Drone Layer or Laying Worker. your pattern isn't very pretty, but that could be due to her being new. Give her a few weeks to get going before you pinch and replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that has put my mind at ease abit.
I'll keep watch and hopefully she will get into the swing of it.

Thanks alot for the advice!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Here's a Beesource pic of a brood frame. Note the drone brood near the bottom compared to the worker brood that covers a majority of the frame. Hope this helps!

sccomb.jpg

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Are those foundationless? The cells look large for the most part which could explain the drone laying in areas, it looks like there is some worker brood there as well.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Don't know if it was foundationless. I just did a search here on Beesource and that pic seemed to show the difference quite well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts