Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new keeper out in Western Washington. We just purchased and set up our colony about a week ago and went to check on them a few days back. I pulled the bottom tray out just to do some research and saw a bunch of what seem to be mites? Or possibly aphids running around. I tried to get some decent pictures but they are so darn tiny! I cleaned out the tray and checked again about 24 hours later. There was only 1 new little critter in it at that time.

The front 'legs' seemed to be more like antennae to me as they were moving around 'searching' while they were moving around so I'm unsure if they are 6 legged or 8 legged creatures.

We didn't see anything strange going on when we were looking at the brood or anywhere on the frames. There was quite a bit of new brood and the bees had started to create new comb on frames that didn't come with the nuc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks.

IMG_2572.jpg IMG_2575.jpg IMG_2576.jpg

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
That's the puppies! My verbal matches your much better pics ;) The OP's pics show much more antennae and front legs and are narrowish rather than wide. Not varroa.

·
Registered
609 Posts
To me, mites on a bottom board look like little red seeds more than anything else. Until you look close enough to see the legs, they don't look like an insect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts