Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get into my hives over the weekend and found a few bees that had shrivled wings. I have been searching the net and it looks like "string wing" as descibed by the university of Tennessee agg extension bee information. It says that it is normaly caused by a high rate of vorra but I didn't see any in the hive. I could have missed them but I was looking for them. Could these just be old bees? has anyone seen this before? any suggestions? :s

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You are seeing DWV(deformed wing virus). It can be caused by mites and looks like this- http://californiabeecompany.com/gallery_layout.php?level=picture&id=18

Unless you have good eyes and view every bee in the hive you will rarely see a mite on your bees. Ether roll or alcohol wash are the best(IMHO) to check for varroa mites in your hive using bees shaken off a frame of emerging brood.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree with Beeslave its Deformed wing virus and it is caused by varroa mites. There is no cure for DWV just reduce the mite count.
You can also do a natural mite drop count by putting a sticky board under the screened bottom board for 24 hours and then counting the mites on the sticky board.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
DWV is just that, a virus vectored by the varroa mite. However, late last year there were reports that the virus no longer requires the mite to act as a vector, that it can somehow get to the bees without the mites. We should hear more about that good news this year. :( But the advice about reducing your mite counts is right on. Or requeen with mite resistant bees.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have some apiguard on the way. Anyone have any recommendations? This will be my 2nd year keeping bees and the first for treating anything.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Beeman77,
Before treating I would get a mite count with a sugar shake or natural drop. Know what the infestion level is before treating. Also be aware that you may loose your honey crop for that hive this year as the treatment runs approx 28 days and no honey suppers for extraction can be added. A shim is required to allow bees space to get into the container and remove the product. There are also some temperature restrictions.
Ski

1 - 6 of 6 Posts