Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year, two hives. One cluster still looks strong the other appears that the large cluster has frozen and is left with a smaller cluster. Not sure if they queen is in that one or not. Don't see how the smaller one can make the rest of the winter.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Strong, healthy colonies do not freeze. I'd suspect other causes, such as low stores or mites or disease. Moisture due to lack of ventilation can also be a problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had plenty of stores, not sure if they got to them in time before the deep freeze. Had good ventilation as well. They were fine a week ago.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Here's the deal,

"If you are going to have livestock, and yes bees are livestock, you will have dead stock. All livestock is born looking for a way to die if they can't find one they will invent a new one."
-- Angus Cowman 2008

The point is, put on your big kid pants, and learn the reason why and change your management practices in hopes to avoid this in the future. But remember, some things are meant to be. We do what we can with the knowledge we have, learn to fix our mistakes, and pick ourselves up and start again.

Sorry you are going through this, but it will happen again...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
But a possible 50% loss is tough for anyone. Hopefully they will make it, but if they don't you will have comb to start another colony in the spring or add to your last hive to allow them to really jump on the spring flow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already been thinking those things, see why it happened, and I have comb to start with. These were on pierco foundation and have been week since I bought the package in April. I have fed these like crazy and they just didn't draw well. My wax foundation hive seems to be good.

Got russians coming this spring so excited about that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question, are you opening up the hives to inspect, isn't the cold adding to the losses when you look in? I haven't looked in mine since oct 6

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would leave them alone. I also have wondered how my hives(3) were doing with the very cold temps here in NC. I would see what flys later this week. It suppose to be in the mid 50's and they will probably break cluster and see how active the hives are. I sure wouldn't open them with it this cold.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two deeps on, and haven't been bringing the frames out. I just move the 2nd deep frames over and look down in with a flash light. I don't disturb the cluster what so ever.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't feel bad. I've had 3 hives die and may have a fourth dead. I'll make up the losses this spring when I start to make splits.

·
Registered
583 Posts
hello,I place my ear on the hive side and listen to them buzz.no opening the hive.safer less chance on disturbing the cluster.my window observation hive is very small.They are russian/carniolian open mated time will tell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts