Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year beekeeper only had my hives for about three weeks. I just went through my hives and found what looked to me like supercedure or emergency QC on the face of one of the combs. I did see capped brood and also uncapped larvae. I did not see any eggs or the queen but could have possibly overlooked them due to my inexperience. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Flip up the frame and see if there is an egg/royal jelly in the cup. Check the brood nest to see if it is crowded with nectar/pollen/brood and if so switch out some ALL honey frames with empty frames and possibly add a box. Eggs are hard to see; go back to the frame with larva and check CLOSELY for eggs. Use a magnifying glass if needed. Cells are angled upward so move the frame so the top bar is up and look down into cells. An egg looks like a grain of rice. If you see eggs the Q has been there in the last 2-3 days. If there are NO eggs but you DO have larvae then you may be recently queenless. If you see eggs and the cup is not charged then they may just practicing and may tear that cup down in a few days. Mark that frame and recheck it in a few days and look closely for others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Murdock. I’ll try try that and also see if I can get a pic of that queen cell to post

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't mean to take off topic, but I guess I am. I see you have top bars like mine, but wondering what the two black zip ties might be for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevinf I bought 2 nucs and that is how I attached the frames from the nucs to my top bars. I’m hindsight I think it was a mistake. With my second hive I screwed the mic frames to the top bars which worked much better

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If you are referring to the second pic, middle/upper part of frame, I think what you are seeing is a cluster of drone cells with one capped drone cell. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like is is drawn out from the frame and not down like typical queen cups/cells. J

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Sometimes they can be real funky when they are solitary like that and not laid in a large patch. A better pic would help to be sure, but supercedures are hard to do much about anyway and most would let the bees play it out. Do you have more drone cells on other frames? J

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Ok, just keep an eye on it, make sure you continue to see worker brood and look for eggs. Try a pair of cheaters. J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts