Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Mike B1, look at the spelling/syntax errors in your screenshot. To me that says it is not a genuine Microsoft page. I am not a Microsoft fanboy, but I am confident that their messages are not that bad. Someone is scamming you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Malwarebytes before it is too late ...

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Adobe Flash is more or less a 'walking dead' product. Realistically, it is no longer supported by anyone.

I am confident that there is no Beesource content (meaning this forum) that uses Flash. Some advertisers might, though. If you have a device that won't load a forum page due to Flash in an ad, it sounds to me as though that device needs an update or a settings change.

-----------------------------------

Perhaps related - perhaps not. :) Most of the time, I use Beesource on a Ubuntu based desktop. No issues. Sometimes I view Beesource on my Android Moto7 phone. Beesource defaults to serving up the 'mobile' version of vBulletin/Beesource, and I find it virtually unusable. I dislike it so much that I tell that phone browser to serve me up the 'desktop' version instead. Typically I have to turn the phone sideways and read in Landscape mode, so its a bit clumsy, but its better than the mobile version. I also have a 10" Android tablet that gets used on occasion, and that is hands-down much better using the 'desktop' Beesource, even though the tablet thinks it is a 'mobile' device.

The point is that, even if the Ipad doesn't have any Flash related settings, it may allow one to choose between a 'mobile' version of Beesource (or any other website) and the 'desktop' version. I find that in many cases, the desktop version is better than the mobile version. In some non-Beesource sites, say Home Depot, the mobile version even has different (less) content than the desktop version (or perhaps its just hidden well enough that I can't find it :rolleyes:)

So don't just take what they serve you - look to see if you can get the desktop instead.:cool:

This has happened to me a few times in the past week; an Adobe flash player message pops up and I cannot reload the BeeSource page. I need to turn my iPad off and start again with BS. We use Apple computers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
lol… fortunately I haven't fallen for any of those scams. Although I did have fun with a prince from a sub-Saharan country who wanted to wire 5 million into my bank account. Another thing you need to be careful of now is the automated phone systems where you receive a prompt to say "yes" or "no". Even with a company that is legitimate I respond with "representative" or press zero until I get a live person. Either that or they can send me a letter the good old fashioned way.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the prompt to say yes or no?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm reminded about a guy who bought a pop up blocker on a pop up ad. That's not a good idea. For the record, it wasn't me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the prompt to say yes or no?
They record your voice. Another piece of the puzzle in identity theft. Then when they have your personal information they can use your voice to access certain accounts you may hold.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
They record your voice. Another piece of the puzzle in identity theft. Then when they have your personal information they can use your voice to access certain accounts you may hold.
:thumbsup: Yes; I was surprised to learn that your recorded "Yes" can be used on some apps. to simulate agreement to something totally different. If someone calls and when I answer, asks it this John Smith etc., I dont say yes. My reply is "state your business"

Occasionally I feel playful and jerk them around. Got one a year ago saying that I had won the opportunity to have my ducts cleaned for free. I asked him if they cleaned chickens. Told him I had no ducks to clean but sure would like him to clean a bunch of chickens. He hung up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
:thumbsup: Yes; I was surprised to learn that your recorded "Yes" can be used on some apps. to simulate agreement to something totally different. If someone calls and when I answer, asks it this John Smith etc., I dont say yes. My reply is "state your business"

Occasionally I feel playful and jerk them around. Got one a year ago saying that I had won the opportunity to have my ducts cleaned for free. I asked him if they cleaned chickens. Told him I had no ducks to clean but sure would like him to clean a bunch of chickens. He hung up!
Got a call one day from a nice lady trying to sell me something. During the call, she got distracted and ask if she could put me on hold. I said yes. After she came back I politely told her I was not interested. When I got my phone bill in, my long distance service had been changed to "HOLD billing company" at 5 times the rate. Never say YES to anything if you receive one of these calls.

Dave

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
That's handy to know. There's been one here where they call and hang up before you have time to answer, hoping you will call them back. If you do, you get a bill.

Here's one of the best telemarketer trolls I've heard :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That is something on your computer, possibly being triggered by an ad, and if you download their "update", you will get something that will "scan" your computer, tell you there is heaps of stuff wrong, and direct you to a scammer in India who will want money to "fix" your computer. Do not click anything on that popup.

In windows 10, to find out if you really need an upate, go to the start button bottom left of your screen and right click it. From the drop down menu click settings. Then click Windows Update. You will then get a screen telling you if you need an update. If you do, go ahead and download it / them.

Also advise getting Malwarebytes to hopefully rid you of your annoying popup.
Ya looks Phishy to me as well.
GG

·
Registered
47 Posts
IPad is telling me to update Adobe Flash Player. I went to the apps store but they didn't even suggest it is on my iPad. I am locked out of this website on the iPad because of that notice. Anyone else getting that? It just started for me.
iPads do not use Adobe Flash Player, so this is most likely a form of malware or infected-script.
The number of names for nefarious and dangerous scripts or maladies is large.

There is a high probability that you clicked on *something* that was not what it said it was and this is how your iPad got sick. Because that message indicates your device is sick.

"Apple has never supported Flash on iOS devices (iPad or iPhone)."

I won't give any specific advice because you would have to provide more information to give decent advice. You can always call your Apple $upporter... they love to give $ervice.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts