Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my hives. At their trough, I have set up for them, I noticed some of the Italian bees hanging onto some of the Carnis. The trough is about 7 to 8 feet from the hives, 50 gallon. There are other, larger troughs in the general vicinity, maybe 1000 yards away or so and I've never seen this behavior at those troughs. I first noticed an Italian hanging onto a Carnis wing, then on the other side of the trough an Italian hanging onto a Carnis leg. They weren't letting go either, and the Carnis were not fighting back, just trying to get away. Anybody else ever see this? Any idea what could be going on? I was thinking I may move that trough out of there altogether if it is going to be a problem. And here I thought I was doing a good thing, having water real close by.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well-intentioned although you might well be, bees can't swim. If you want to provide water for them in this way, either fill-up the trough completely with rocks, or float things in it.

As for what you thought you observed with regard to inter-species rivalries, I personally find no compelling reason to embrace the notion. I just don't think that bees are ... well ... "like humans, who strangely seem to be captivated by such things."

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not drowning, the trough has burlap over the water, works real well. I just pointed out the Italian/carni since they are in different hives, figuring the Italians may be trying to guard the water like they would their hive. Not embracing any notions relating them to humans.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After watching the bees at the trough, for a longer spell, yesterday, I think the Italians were on a "cleaning" spree. I watched a few Italians running after Carnis, and if the Carni allowed, the Italians were grooming them. I have one good video, and when I can figure out how to get it from my phone to the board, I'll post it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts