Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in the past couple of years that queens marked with Posca paint pens, which I have used for nearly 13 years, need remarking within weeks.

I have tried letting them dry first, then applying a second coat etc. but the paint is wearing off quickly.

When I first used them years ago they were pretty much indelible for a couple of years. Not any more.

Is this just me or are others finding the same?

Is there a more indelible, safe marker to use?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
For me lasts years green is still fine.. This years blue seems to come off before the virgin is even mated

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Change from hydrocarbon solvent to waterborne carrier? I think you can still buy Xylene solvent Testors model paint. I dont think they have messed with it yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Change from hydrocarbon solvent to waterborne carrier? I think you can still buy Xylene solvent Testors model paint. I dont think they have messed with it yet.
That's what I've been using this year. Testors paint and a toothpick has worked great. My pens last year were awful...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought Model paint was toxic. I also read someone used nail polish but thought that was toxic too?
I am new but bought non-taxic paint pens in the craft section. I have a hard time finding mine, but then again I'm not too worried but i would like to mark them this Sunday

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I thought the blue seemed a little thin, I thought it was just because it was hot or I didn't shake it enough.

Alex

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I thought Model paint was toxic. I also read someone used nail polish but thought that was toxic too?
I am new but bought non-taxic paint pens in the craft section. I have a hard time finding mine, but then again I'm not too worried but i would like to mark them this Sunday
I think it is the fumes from the solvents that are usually toxic. The amount in a small drop on the queen is probably not enough to matter,especially after the paint dries.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have used Testor's model airplane paint for years and never had it completely wear or get chewed off. Search or Michael Palmer's mini video on how to mark queens. He uses an "everywhere available" Timothy grass stem as a handy brush. Use an absolute minimum of paint and do a second application if necessary. Be very careful to get the paint only on the queen's thorax and not on her wings or legs and let it dry before releasing her back into a seam.

Alternatively, just learn how to find her without a mark, or just be happy when you see larva!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
328 Posts
This years blue seems to come off before the virgin is even mated
Same here. Within weeks, 98% of the paint is off. I've caught myself several times this year wondering why/how the queen was replaced. After picking up the the queens to mark them, turns out there was faint blue paint at the edge of thorax.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My Posca (made in Japan) pen markings are staying OK (2 years at least). Maybe there are some knock offs out there?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used a Sharpie brand paint pen this year with good results. They’re oil based I believe. It seemed to work better than the posca I also used (two shades of blue for two different breeder queens).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts