Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is finally starting to warm up here so I put my hive outside on our 2nd story, south facing porch. I am hoping to catch a swarm eventually so it is baited with LGO and melted propolis. Thanks to Michael Bush for his info on 8 frame hives. Along with being easier to move, in this location they will be easier to maneuver too

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am really struggling to find a good location for my new hives. I was half-jokingly considering putting on my deck b/c it is the sunniest spot & I don't think bears would venture that far from the woods. I tend to have wasps in this area...Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
So if you needed to move the hive off the 2nd story balcony, how would you do it? As long as they are nice, it's not a problem. Occasionally a hive turns mean and needs to be moved immediately. Can you do that?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if you needed to move the hive off the 2nd story balcony, how would you do it? As long as they are nice, it's not a problem. Occasionally a hive turns mean and needs to be moved immediately. Can you do that?
what does moving them do? at the moment it would be the only hive up there. if they are after me then i back up 3' and close the sliding door to keep them outside.

i do know it's not ideal. I have bushes along my entire house at ground level and 2 dogs so i don't think i can put them in the yard.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Sometimes a hive turns mean. If it does, you need a plan to move it somewhere it is not a problem until you can get things straightened out. I'm not saying it's a bad place, but do you have a plan for how to move it? Would it involve taking boxes through the house? Or lowering them with ropes? I just think you need a plan.

·
Registered
523 Posts
what does moving them do? at the moment it would be the only hive up there. if they are after me then i back up 3' and close the sliding door to keep them outside.

i do know it's not ideal. I have bushes along my entire house at ground level and 2 dogs so i don't think i can put them in the yard.
My experience is that if a hive is mean, I go ANYWHERE except immediately inside. They follow for a distance, there's likely a good number on your suit at that point anyhow. Once inside, I find random bees for about 24 hrs. Wife, dogs, kid remain unhappy for longer than 24 hrs.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes a hive turns mean. If it does, you need a plan to move it somewhere it is not a problem until you can get things straightened out. I'm not saying it's a bad place, but do you have a plan for how to move it? Would it involve taking boxes through the house? Or lowering them with ropes? I just think you need a plan.
being up on the deck where no one is would be about as out of the way as anywhere else on the property. to get them off the deck would involve going through the house with them closed up. I think lowering them would need 2 people which i dont have protection gear for.

i guess i don't understand what moving them accomplishes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i guess i don't understand what moving them accomplishes.
If they are stinging dogs in the yard below or spending the evenings beating themselves to death on the sliding door (attracted to the inside lights), you may want them somewhere else (temporarily while they are requeened) or permanently (to keep the peace at home).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If your bees are mad at you, you may have to stand out on the deck for a while till they settle down and ignore you. Could be a long wait, but I don't see how it can't work there on the deck. If they get mean and stay mad at you, it could get to be a pain up there. I like it, but caution on bringing in bees is a good idea. Give it a try, and if they need moved, close them all up at night and carefully go through the house with it. You may have to separate it if it gets real heavy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they are stinging dogs in the yard below or spending the evenings beating themselves to death on the sliding door (attracted to the inside lights), you may want them somewhere else (temporarily while they are requeened) or permanently (to keep the peace at home).
the upstairs is generally not used.. kind of a dormer/ finished attic kinda thing. if they were on the ground i wouldn't be able to move them anywhere that would be much further away than where it is now. plus the fact i have no where to put them permanently on the ground anyway.

I could put a shop vac up there to remove any bees that were clinging once i came inside.

i don't even have bees yet so it all seems a bit pessimistic. I don't have the woodware to do anything more than that 8 frame hive and 2 nucs so i'm not going to be doing a ton of digging around and pissing them off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you read Bee Culture magazine you would be aware that bee keeping is alive and well in the high rises in metropolitan areas. Roof tops and balconies are in use all over the country.
If your bees turn mean or agressive. go to the hardware store and get an aluminum screen made up that is 4' x 7' and covered with window screen. Place it in front of the hive about 6 inches away so the bees have to fly up to 7 foot above the floor before they can fly horiziontal. You may need two screens to get them to stand or cover the front of the hive. Even African hybrids lose a lot of their aggressiveness at that height.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you read Bee Culture magazine you would be aware that bee keeping is alive and well in the high rises in metropolitan areas. Roof tops and balconies are in use all over the country.
If your bees turn mean or agressive. go to the hardware store and get an aluminum screen made up that is 4' x 7' and covered with window screen. Place it in front of the hive about 6 inches away so the bees have to fly up to 7 foot above the floor before they can fly horiziontal. You may need two screens to get them to stand or cover the front of the hive. Even African hybrids lose a lot of their aggressiveness at that height.
This is great information, I have some bees in a location that is fairly close to people. This could come in handy if they turned mean suddenly. I may have to make something up just in case.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I (and I believe MB) intended to offer a realistic "have a plan" rather than a pessimistic, "it won't work." Travelling into remote desert areas without cell service (which I do regularly), I have enough provisions to walk out - if I thought I'd need to, I wouldn't go!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess i should have prefaced it by saying i really don't have any other location choices or I would choose for them to be on the ground.

moving them will not increase the distance from anything so the plan will be to be wary of them being pissy and not go in there on days when it isn't recommended.. hot, rainy etc.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
you're a bit north, you'll be waiting for a while. I think its a good spot for a swarm trap, but would look elsewhere if you plan to keep an established hive.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well other people in the house would also prefer it out there. I think i would need a fairly high stand if i put it on the ground anywhere to keep the lab from being nosy. you can see the dog "path" beaten into the grass. being on a high stand makes lifting tricky. being up high also gets them above the neighbors

hopefully i'll be moving in the next few years and will have a better spot.

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
This situation reminds me of the poor ole beekeeper with hives torn up by the mean bear that the electric fence somehow
did not hold. How about putting an open top kennel fence around the hive on the ground so the dogs cannot go inside.
- - - - - -- - - - -
| ......................|
| ......................|
| ......Hive..........|
- - - - - - - - - - -
Now you can have 2 to 3 hives split once they start growing. You can even lock the gate and put a bee warning sign on too.
Bee ordinance in some county said put the hive 300' away from a building structure or walk way?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts