Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Every hardware store in this hemisphere will have an assortment of valves. These will either be brass or PVC and sized from 1/2 inch to 2 inches. However, you will have to figure out how to mount them on something.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've read that cleaning was a major concern with the valves. Honey gate is simple and easily cleaned. I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"What are the features of a honey gate that makes it a honey gate,.."

Instant or fast cut-off of flow, with very little after dripping I would think. Valves used for thick molasses, oil or other similar fluids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A honey gate is only like $8. A valve setup from the hardware store will likely cost $5 or more and possibly not even work that well. You can also probably use plastic 1/4 turn faucets that are common in commercial kitchens. They cost just a couple bucks so if they get mucked up beyond cleaning they are cheap enough to replace.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is my quote from Kelleys.

US Mail Priority with a 2-3 business day delivery would cost $19.55 total.
US Mail Parcel Post with a 7 plus business day delivery would cost $18.09 total.
UPS Ground with a 5 business day delivery would cost $20.28 total.

I refuse to order anything online where the cost more than doubles when shipping is added. This was for one $9 honey gate. Total weight of those things is just a couple of ounces.

Locally I can buy for $12.95+tx

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just go to Home Depot or other "big box" store and buy a PVC ball valve in whatever size you need. We use several of them in the honeyhouse. Do they drip? Yes. So have a small bowl handy to catch the drips. If bottling, then a honey gate works best, but a ball valve will work in a pinch and I seem to always be in a pinch!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just go to Home Depot or other "big box" store and buy a PVC ball valve in whatever size you need. We use several of them in the honeyhouse. Do they drip? Yes. So have a small bowl handy to catch the drips. If bottling, then a honey gate works best, but a ball valve will work in a pinch and I seem to always be in a pinch!
Again, great advice.

I appreciate all of the options you folks are presenting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In Aebi's "The Art & Adventure of Beekeeping", I saw one that would be cheap and easy to make. I'll try to describe it.

Brass pipe attached to the bucket. That goes into a 'T' joint (soldered), which is oriented vertically. Then you have a dowel rod whose diameter exactly matches the inside diameter of the pipe. That's it.

To stop the dowel from falling through, drill a hole in it, and glue a smaller dowel perpendicular to it, for a handle. This handle will sit on the top of the T-joint. If you wanted to get fancy, add a piece of pipe going up, & drill? a slot that goes up diagonally, so you have almost a half screw for that handle dowel to follow, with a 'landing' for it to rest on when open, so you don't necessarily have to hold it open.

Just a thought. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts