Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little boy of four and a half years that is a distant cousin or something like that that stays with us a few times a month as his mommy is a druggie so he lives with his great-grandmother by court order.:( I've been blessed with the role of being "Uncle Caleb" and as such the only real positive role model that he has at this point in time. (poor kid, me as a role model... he's screwed:D)
One of my parenting rules is that I hate to go over the rules over and over again... My kids will blow off mom but when I tell them not to do "that" they listen the first time because they've learned that bad stuff happens when they don't listen to dad. Just as I was sending my reply to another post I heard one kid screaming bloody murder and two kids yelling that they told him not to do it...
Thank God he was wearing a heavy sweater. Even gentle bees will sting if you beat on them hard enough. Once things settled down I told him, "You were told to stay away from the bees and you were told that I didn't want to say it again." He took two on the face and one on each hand.
Next time I won't have to tell him again.;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
He is lucky to have you. Just like the electric fence, now and when I was
a kid, "kids don't you touch the electric fence", but they always do.....
once.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is lucky to have you.
Thank you.:) I honestly believe thats one of the kindest things anyone has ever said to me. I HATE that he needs me but I'm proud to be here for him.

And yes, I was about twenty five before I was comfortable around flamable liquids or electric fences again... Tommorrow he's going to help me(along with my two) go through a few week hives that I re-queened so he can see how it all works and gain a little confidence. It's tough being a kid in the country.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You be there for him Caleb. What he is really asking for is LOVE and ATTENTION. Just that nobody showed him how yet.

Kids actually expect and want rules.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ahh, Someone who really knows the definition of a man! A man steps up when needed and does the right thing. I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to say that it is decent of you to be a real man and help/take care of this child! You do the best you can... That's all you can do. You only need to reconcile with yourself and the all-mighty! We need more real men like you in this world in a bad way!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I never peed on the electric fence either but I know of plenty who did. I learned by the observing the mistakes of others.
I did that once. I was 15 or 16, at a field party, getting a bit drunk, it was getting dark, and I had to pee. So, I went to the tree line and as I was peeing, I saw a lightning bug......or so I thought:eek:

Needless to say, I was a bit confused as I picked myself up off the ground.:scratch:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats exactly how I learned not to throw a basketball at a huge hornet nest many years ago. I took six hit before they stopped chasing me. LOL:no:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words Tom and Budster.:) I'd like to think that helping kids grow up right is just a common theme for adults... boy would I ever like to think that...
We were getting all ready to go check bees this afternoon and he was whining... really unusual for him... I went out to put my gear in the truck and when I came back in he was passed out on the couch:D. I'm kinda glad since I didn't feel like playing with bugs after work today anyway.;) I hived a big swarm instead.

As for electric fences: You do all know that the greatest trick in the world is to grab your buddy with one hand and then grab the fence with your other hand, right?:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts