Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little boy of four and a half years that is a distant cousin or something like that that stays with us a few times a month as his mommy is a druggie so he lives with his great-grandmother by court order.:( I've been blessed with the role of being "Uncle Caleb" and as such the only real positive role model that he has at this point in time. (poor kid, me as a role model... he's screwed:D)
One of my parenting rules is that I hate to go over the rules over and over again... My kids will blow off mom but when I tell them not to do "that" they listen the first time because they've learned that bad stuff happens when they don't listen to dad. Just as I was sending my reply to another post I heard one kid screaming bloody murder and two kids yelling that they told him not to do it...
Thank God he was wearing a heavy sweater. Even gentle bees will sting if you beat on them hard enough. Once things settled down I told him, "You were told to stay away from the bees and you were told that I didn't want to say it again." He took two on the face and one on each hand.
Next time I won't have to tell him again.;)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is lucky to have you.
Thank you.:) I honestly believe thats one of the kindest things anyone has ever said to me. I HATE that he needs me but I'm proud to be here for him.

And yes, I was about twenty five before I was comfortable around flamable liquids or electric fences again... Tommorrow he's going to help me(along with my two) go through a few week hives that I re-queened so he can see how it all works and gain a little confidence. It's tough being a kid in the country.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ahh, Someone who really knows the definition of a man! A man steps up when needed and does the right thing. I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to say that it is decent of you to be a real man and help/take care of this child! You do the best you can... That's all you can do. You only need to reconcile with yourself and the all-mighty! We need more real men like you in this world in a bad way!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I never peed on the electric fence either but I know of plenty who did. I learned by the observing the mistakes of others.
I did that once. I was 15 or 16, at a field party, getting a bit drunk, it was getting dark, and I had to pee. So, I went to the tree line and as I was peeing, I saw a lightning bug......or so I thought:eek:

Needless to say, I was a bit confused as I picked myself up off the ground.:scratch:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words Tom and Budster.:) I'd like to think that helping kids grow up right is just a common theme for adults... boy would I ever like to think that...
We were getting all ready to go check bees this afternoon and he was whining... really unusual for him... I went out to put my gear in the truck and when I came back in he was passed out on the couch:D. I'm kinda glad since I didn't feel like playing with bugs after work today anyway.;) I hived a big swarm instead.

As for electric fences: You do all know that the greatest trick in the world is to grab your buddy with one hand and then grab the fence with your other hand, right?:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.