Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a box of comb frames on one hive - a standard super on another hive - both strong hives - the bees are capping honey in the super - but the comb frame is not even drawn out ??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Put a few of the comb frames in between the drawn combs in the other hive for a few days, until they start drawing them out, then switch them back. Some bees just seem to be more cooperative than others.

Have the bees in the slow hive created any white wax in the brood chambers?

Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a box of comb frames on one hive - a standard super on another hive - both strong hives - the bees are capping honey in the super - but the comb frame is not even drawn out

not sure about the white wax - will ck - thanks for the suggestion !!!

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
It would help if we knew your location. Early in the season in cool locations the bees can not easily maintain the temperature necessary to draw comb. Burr comb they build on the frames is brown with recycled wax. Once you start to see the clean white new wax you know they are ready to get to work drawing new comb. That is near the middle of June in my location!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would help if we knew your location. Early in the season in cool locations the bees can not easily maintain the temperature necessary to draw comb. Burr comb they build on the frames is brown with recycled wax. Once you start to see the clean white new wax you know they are ready to get to work drawing new comb. That is near the middle of June in my location!
Thanks Frank - I'm in NYS in the Catskill mountains - my Hives are at about 2000 feet - I did not think to ck for white wax but will this weekend - once I saw them putting in honey I assumed they should also be drawing comb - my error - the honey they are putting in is on drawn comb from last year - Thanks again - Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts