Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, There--

I am curious if there is any reason not to use the roof of our pool house (7' x 12', & 7' off the ground) for a TBH? The location gets plenty of sun and is certainly sturdy enough, but my spouse wonders if the pool filter and pool heater might disturb the bees (the filter comes on around midnight for about 4 hours, and the heater seldom goes on)? When the filter or the heater is on, there is a some low noise and I suspect vibration but it doesn't seem as if it would be enough to bother the bees....I can set up a ladder or even some stairs to get up to the hive, so access shouldn't be a problem. We're located in Northern California and the weather here is quite moderate.

Thanks in advance for settling this domestic dispute! :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Make sure your roof can handle a heavy honey load. Your asking for trouble using a ladder to bring up and down stuff.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Make sure your roof can handle a heavy honey load. Your asking for trouble using a ladder to bring up and down stuff.
The above advice comes from the countries' most reknown expert on rooftop beekeeping.
I once produced 800 lbs on a roof, that was the last time I put bees on a roof. What goes up empty, comes down full.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,447 Posts
Having it up on something like that is just going to further complicate management and maintenance. My grandpa kept bees on his garage roof for quite awhile, but I don't remember him being particularly happy about working them up there. And there was always the concern the roof might not hold. He had to add supports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts