Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Went to check on my hives a few minutes ago up the approx 6PM CST and once I opened the hives and started checking frames they got mad yeah :eek:

Usually, they seem a little bothered but this time they attacked my veil like a hungry bum after a bologna sandwich.

Is that usual behavior for this time of the year here in South Louisiana or anywhere for that matter.

Why they so ugly today? :scratch:

·
Registered
84 Posts
If there isn't a good flow we can't get in ours that late in the day without the same problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got done working my Russians today also 7CST. They was temperamental also, I got bumped in the nose twice, so i put my veil on. I had to smoke them a little more than I'd like to, but found the queens and refilled there sugar water so I can get some drawn comb outta the way now and ready for the Fall flow... come on golden rods!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in North Louisiana, we are in a dearth, it was really hot yesterday and the barometric pressure was falling. All of those can make them unhappy. They have days when they don't want to be bothered.:no:

·
Registered
299 Posts
We're in a dearth here also and my bees are not happy campers. They come at me when I'm refilling their feeders outside of and away from the hives.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
One of my hives blew me up pretty good last week. I thought they were still pissed from a thwarted robbing frenzy the week before. I think it was a number of things, weather, lack of nectar being a part. They have all calmed back down now and are working like fiends. Pollen coming in strong and the returning bees that arent toting pollen are coming in heavy. They found something sweet. G

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yep, it is that time of the year. I always enjoy reading posts about getting stung and having hot hives in the summer dearth. Usually the posts are by the same people who blissfully reported last spring that they work their bees in shorts/T-shirt, no veil, and no smoke.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok well groovy, I thought that might be the reason...

As far as to did I use a smoker yes and how new am I to bee keeping I'm as green as the Jolly Green Giant

As I mentioned in another post I don't know the difference between a Queen Bee and a King Bee:}

Thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello,

Went to check on my hives a few minutes ago up the approx 6PM CST and once I opened the hives and started checking frames they got mad yeah :eek:

Usually, they seem a little bothered but this time they attacked my veil like a hungry bum after a bologna sandwich.

Is that usual behavior for this time of the year here in South Louisiana or anywhere for that matter.

Why they so ugly today? :scratch:
6 pm not the best time to go in. Better to go in around 8 to 10 am. Not as hot. On a hot humid afernoon they can get rather cranky.

Phil

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Not trying to be mean or anything. We have all been through it. After reading beesource for a year before I started I was like, no problem, I don't even need a suit, bees are friendly. Luckily a friend said to me, "Uh, you are going to need a bee suit, here you can borrow one of mine". I didn't need the suit until about the middle of July.

It doesn't matter whether you use a full bee suit or work your bees wearing nothing at all, the important thing to remember is that bees sting and they sting a lot more at different times of the season.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Not trying to be mean or anything. We have all been through it. After reading beesource for a year before I started I was like, no problem, I don't even need a suit, bees are friendly. Luckily a friend said to me, "Uh, you are going to need a bee suit, here you can borrow one of mine". I didn't need the suit until about the middle of July.

It doesn't matter whether you use a full bee suit or work your bees wearing nothing at all, the important thing to remember is that bees sting and they sting a lot more at different times of the season.
Truer words were never spoken! I have been getting complacent but today I took a sting on the throat with no provocation or warning headbutts. Bam! As soon as that ripe banana smell hits the air the rest of the hive revs up in 2 seconds. I wont be pushing my luck again till next spring!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Truer words were never spoken! I have been getting complacent but today I took a sting on the throat with no provocation or warning headbutts. Bam! As soon as that ripe banana smell hits the air the rest of the hive revs up in 2 seconds. I wont be pushing my luck again till next spring!
Ditto! , I'm feeding a swarm that I caught (my own bees), to help them get a second super built. I've having to smoke them now, just to put the baggie on the top bar. They really don't like my attempts to "help" them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not sure what the girls are pulling in down here but two weeks ago...they were all just hanging out bearding in the middle of the day. Mean like week before PMS mean. Not much activity was going on. Now??...I go out there even before the sun comes up and they are leaving the hive in droves doin their mini tornado up and out and coming in either packed with pollen or flying heavy. Still going out and coming in with the sun settling below the horizen... (note to self...make more supers!)
I did watch an attempt made at robbing. My girls fought em off big time! Kinda wierd cuz they wernt from my hives and I didnt know any hives were close by. Gives me hope that come spring I can make splits and mate some virgins!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts