Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While watching a video of bee keeping in Germany I saw bee hives made of a reinforced plastic. Does anyone use them in the States?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Expensive, but you probably only have to buy them once!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, a bit. But my other hives are top bar hives that I built so I figure overall my costs are about average and the fun experimental factor is slightly above average.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks indestructable, unless run over. Would be nice if they were a tad cheaper. How many boxes do you own like it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hives look nice. I would wonder about how well they insulate in winter, and I would certainly be worried about them getting brittle and breaking easy in the cold. Does anyone have experience with that?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have never used them, but have heard they can cause moisture problems. If that is true, would not be a good idea in humid climate like where I live.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where can they be purchased from?
I got mine at http://www.modernbeekeepingusa.com

I have never used them, but have heard they can cause moisture problems. If that is true, would not be a good idea in humid climate like where I live.
I live in Virginia. It's quite humid here as well in the summer. They come with a screened bottom board and I crack the top a bit to give a bit more airflow. You can also reverse the top and add a screen beneath it (like a travel screen) to give it more ventilation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts