Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

301 - 320 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Depends on the variety but my orchards bloom earlier than most in the modesto area. Not sure about the south. Never been there during bloom.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Is there some where you can find the addresses of Almond Groves? I would like to take my daughter on a tour if we can find a window to get over the pass. I am thinking late February early March. Sacramento Area is only a couple of hours from us if the mountains cooperate.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Maybe a couple of you almond pollination guys could find a few minutes this year to snap some photos of the goings on for those of us
who only read about the greatest pollination event on earth.
Even the mundane things to you all would be interesting to us.
Greatly appreciate it if at all possible.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Is there some where you can find the addresses of Almond Groves? I would like to take my daughter on a tour if we can find a window to get over the pass. I am thinking late February early March. Sacramento Area is only a couple of hours from us if the mountains cooperate.
Turn right when you hit I-5, then look to your right and left for the next 100 miles...

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
But it was getting into the 80s that week! Bloom came on fast and crazy. I was amazed at how fast the buds were moving. What will this year bring? My crystal ball is buried under the snow....
Well the rain continues this week. increasing my chances of seeing some trees still in bloom two weeks from now. My mind is sort of boggled at how they can keep those hives going through all this. fighting the mud and lack of access. or are those hives in the groves just dying off? I now many put a lot of pollen on them etc. when they place them. but how long will that keep the colonies going? The whole thing should be coming to a close here pretty soon shouldn't it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
What’s the word on almond Pollination 2018? I’ve heard there will be lots of young orchards coming into production age this year and needing bees. I was surprised last year with the surplus of bees.

301 - 320 of 346 Posts