Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I’ve got 2 phone calls from blueberry farmers and one from a car dealer with a swarm in his lot. I’ll do fine with swarms. What do I need to do to change my hives into “migratory”? I’m using ScreenBB and regular inner and top cover. Do I need to fasten the boxes together? Do I need to super in the field? The more I think about it, the more it looks like a totally different animal. Need all the help you can give me.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I got a call from one of those blueberry farmers too (probably one of the same ones.) Not for me (yet) since it sounds like a bit of monkeybusiness moving and such.

Depending on your size and help you can just use what you have, just staple everything togather really well, or use 3/4" stock strips to connect everything. As long as things dont come apart when moving or when in transit.

Blueberrys you generally put in when they bloom, maybe in a week or two, and then pull 3 weeks later before they spray. You will want to watch them and super if needed. Alot of that depends on what else might be flowing in the area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick, I gave her your phone # that I found on some page for swarm removal. This lady, Maria, was under the impression that it was all free. I told her $60/hive and that she'll need 4 hives/acre. I don't have that many. Hope I didn't intrude by giving her your phone #.
I work in Jenison and I live just west of Hamilton. Maybe next year, between the 2 of us we can rent some out. Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts