Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bees were hived on may 6th (2 hives) Everything seems normal to a newbee such as I. The bees coming in are so loaded down with pollen, They look like a rookie pilot trying to land on a carrier for the first time. The smallest hole in the entrance restrictor seemed to be getting jammed up with bees, So I switched to the larger opening. The bees seem to like it better. The other bees that are going and coming that are not loaded with pollen, are they possibly carrying nectar?I have both hives in a single medium using a ball jar as a top feeder in an empty medium 1to1 on new foundation.Took empty quuen cages out may11th. Have not been back in hive. At what point do you suggest going back in, and what should I be looking for.Once again in advance thank you for taking the time to help those of us that are just starting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Ken, I am also a newbee formerly from Franklin, OH. On my first check, I just looked for food level and then checked to be sure they were drawing proper comb. I had not pushed my frames together snugly and they had built lovely freeform comb between the frames. I scraped it out and saved it for later. I also looked for larva. then I closed it up. Luck to you!
Meridith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts