Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question but if you put a pollen trap on such as a Sundance at the same time as feeding pollen substitute would it end up in the trap. Would the bees leave the hive with substitute stuck to their legs causing it to fall in the trap. Here in Mass I am already seeing bees outside the hive with pollen on their legs and I was contemplating putting my pollen trap on, however I was still feeding a pollen patty. Is there any chance these bees I am seeing with pollen on their legs coming in contain the substitute? I am looking to collect some pollen before my allergies start.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is pollen alright. A tone of fresh pollen my hive today, kept falling out of the frames I was inspecting. Bees have been bringing in pollen for 2 weeks.

Alex M
Lowell MA

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I've never seen bees "store" pollen patty in the hive. They always seem to consume it directly where the patty is relocated. I've also not seen them move it around in the hive so I don't think you need to worry about it ending up in the pollen trap, especially a Sundance model since the bees exit through cones that are not attached to the drawer apparatus.

One thing to consider though if you are feeding a patty in addition to trapping pollen, you will notice reduced pollen collection since the bees will sense they have "enough" pollen for that moment. Having a pollen trap on the hive encourages more forages to gather pollen because not as much is ending up in the hive for the bees to use.

I just posted the instructions and top mount sundance pollen trap in another beesource thread. https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?353659-Sundance-II-Top-Mount-Pollen-Trap

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Stupid question but if you put a pollen trap on such as a Sundance at the same time as feeding pollen substitute would it end up in the trap.

There is no point putting a pollen trap on unless there is pollen coming in. There is no point in feeding substitute when there is pollen coming in. The Sundance trap lets half the pollen in all the time. But, the original question is "would it end up in the trap" and that answer is "no".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts