Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
60 degrees and bees are flying.........went to look at them and put on some syrup and lo and behold they were bringing in pollen like MAD.......what trees bloom this early in Kansas? It is a pale yellow and I know it is not corn feed as it has been warm before today but today is the first they are bringing this in...........WOW spring might be just around the corner.........should I put on pollen substitute patties now? I was planning on it.......?????'s in Kansas

·
Registered
348 Posts
I saw pollen last year on Feb 20. I'm not sure where it comes from but I suspect trees. I haven't been out to see this year yet. I will get back and advise.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The temperature was 8 celsius in my area ,the hives that are in the sun where bringing in pollen .End of February and March the bees get their nectar from boxwood,hazelnut,indian plum,lily of the valley bush,vine maple ,winter heather, chickweed, mtn.laurel and willow.
I gave each hive 1gal of 2to1 syrup and a pollen patty.

Terry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Flewster wrote: "...lo and behold they were bringing in pollen like MAD.......what trees bloom this early in Kansas? It is a pale yellow..."

You may wish to check Elm trees blooming in your area. Elm tree pollen is pale yellow. Elm trees have been blooming in McAlester, OK since 11 January and continues to bloom.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Red Maple next to my hives should be blooming. Last time I was there the buds were really swelled up. The Silver Maples which there are alot will be right behind(week max so they may even be blooming). I have 8 weeks to have my hives at peak. I plan on doing a split taking the old queen out right before to increase the honey stored.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Seen my first dandelion(not spelled right),bloom yesterday here.butter cup's been blooming about a week.also some maples,all sure look's good.Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Silver maples are blooming (yellow pollen)in N.E. OK. The bees are working it like mad. They
are also bringing in some white pollen. Don't know where they are getting it however the local
pollen report says elm, cedar, and alder are producing pollen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
WUVIE wrote: "...the local pollen report says elm, cedar, and alder are producing pollen."

What is the source for your local pollen report?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Jim..

http://www.ktul.com/weather/pollenreport.hrb

Tulsa Channel 8 wed site. You just type in your
local zip and it gives you a report. Don't know
how far out the seach will include but I would think it would include McAlester...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Hey Flewster and KBK (not to be confused with BTK), have any plans to go to Emporia the first Friday and Saturday of March? That's the Kansas State Honey Producers meeting.

Flewster, you have no excuse. It's only twenty miles for you.

Didn't mean to leave out Dale, Dazy, or Ks Volunteer. I KNOW Prarie Girl is going ;)

·
Banned
922 Posts
The KS site said I had alder, cedar, elm pollen right now...in N GA? Who they kidding?

Maple would have been accurrate...

BubbaBob

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Mine were bringing in loads of bright yellow yesterday. Nothing blooming that you can see around here. A fellow who reps lawn and garden supplies said it was juniper, and that if I looked closely today I'd see the bushs are loaded with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
>not to be confused with BTK< :mad:

Yea.. lets not confuse the two. LoL!!
I would like to go. My sister lives in emporia so
I could stop in and visit. Just have to see if I can get out of work that friday

1 - 20 of 26 Posts