Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay are you all making your own pollen substitute or are you getting them from a supplier?
I found an old study done at the department of entomology and economic zoology institute of agriculture in St. Paul Minnesota. I found it in an old ABJ article dated March 1957.
Has anyone tryed it before?

·
Registered
233 Posts
i make my own using mega bee with honey, sugar and some other things and they really take to them. would like to know how the ones from Mann Lake, Betterbee and some of the others are liked or dislike by other beekeepers

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hay are you all making your own pollen substitute or are you getting them from a supplier?
I found an old study done at the department of entomology and economic zoology institute of agriculture in St. Paul Minnesota. I found it in an old ABJ article dated March 1957.
Has anyone tryed it before?
What is the recipe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 Part Soybean Flour, 1 1/2 parts Commercial Casein, 1 Part Dried Brewer's yeast, 1 Part Dried Skim Milk and 1/2 Part Dried egg yolk

This article reads that this is higher in protein then even pollen and had a higher number of caped brood cells.

Mykola H Haydak was the author of this article

·
Registered
717 Posts
You might check into quinoa flour vs soy because of it's higher protein value as well as containing all 12 essential amino acids. I found it on-line, but decided to purchase the beens (almost like seeds, really) at whole foods and grind into flour myself.

Dehydrated egg whites are expensive, so I went with egg protein (which has some percentage of lecithin in it, that I didn't worry about, considering it is a soy product and used in a number of 'essential oils' concoctions) - also at whole foods, twice the amount for the same price of just egg whites.

About the other ingredients, I'm ignorant, other than knowing that my chain grocery carries soy flour (bleached, however).

As far as how the bees like it, I'm still waiting on weather to warm for them to break cluster a bit, so I can't tell if the substitutions above are acceptable to the ladies. If they go for it, I'll post the formula.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This sound good. I have been looking for a recipe that does not need real pollen mixed in and will perform well.

I want to make as many nucs as I can in spring. I am thinking that feeding pollen patties will allow me to make nucs with mated queens in early spring and be able to make more nucs from the original hives in early June again. Or something to this effect.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
This sound good. I have been looking for a recipe that does not need real pollen mixed in and will perform well.

I want to make as many nucs as I can in spring. I am thinking that feeding pollen patties will allow me to make nucs with mated queens in early spring and be able to make more nucs from the original hives in early June again. Or something to this effect.
The problem with feeding the casein is that the bees probably can not digest that sourc of protein.
I have used dried skim milk. But, keep the ratio down because of it's sugar .
Ernie

·
Registered
717 Posts
It is my understanding that molasses (the 'brown' in brown sugar), as well as the distilled ingredient of rum, is not a good thing for the bees - altho it sounds ok for me (cheers).

I would check this out before feeding bees any form of molasses.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts

You have these commercially available ones:
Bee-Pro by Mann Lake
Feed Bee by Dadant
Tucson Diet
I can not say anything about my product because that would be advertising.

Ernie

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
It is my understanding that molasses (the 'brown' in brown sugar), as well as the distilled ingredient of rum, is not a good thing for the bees - altho it sounds ok for me (cheers).

I would check this out before feeding bees any form of molasses.
No problemo. Rum is distilled and brown sugar is brown sugar. Here's a toast to you.
Ernie

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Ernie

I'd be interested to hear if you have any idea what benefit the rum would provide
The alcohol would evaporate off pretty quick, what do you think is in the residuals that it beneficial?
I just hate the idea of wasting good rum (love that Meyers:))

Dave

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well, then... I'll take mine in a hurricane.

Serious, tho - what do you think about quinoa?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You have these commercially available ones:
Bee-Pro by Mann Lake
Feed Bee by Dadant
Tucson Diet
I can not say anything about my product because that would be advertising.

Ernie
LOL

I will price this recipe and see how cost effective it is. For that matter how do you make it (the posted recipe). Is it just mixed by hand, a blender, dough mixer. That said, I believe I have seen your posts promoting your product. Cant recall the name or price. So what is it? Maybe I will order some from you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts