Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is their a receipe for a good pollen substitute?? If there is where can it be found?? Without natural pollen.
I intend to rob around the mid of next month and then give them sugar water to help them make stores to get them thru the winter. Sound good?? After I rob I intend to break the hives down to two deeps, open feed the sugar water, and around Feb start them on pollen sub and sugar water. Hope to get an earlier start next year, do my plans sound reasoniable??

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited August 29, 2004).]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I don't know what February is like there, but here it's doubtful it will get warm enough for them to take any syrup. But I suppose I could have it out for them anyway, in case.

I tried pollen substitute patties (Bee pro from Mann Lake) and wasn't terribly impressed. In fact I've even made them with real pollen and real honey and the bees pretty much ignored them.

On the other hand I've put pollen substitute or pollen substitute and real pollen mixed in an open feeder (a nuc with pollen in it) and they went crazy over it on warm days in the early spring until the tress started providing pollen. Then they ignored it.

I bought the powdered substitute and some real pollen from Brushy Mt and mixed it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Febuary up here can vary from mild to down right cold so it is a gamble.

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

·
Registered
486 Posts
I haven't noticed a great difference between Mann Lakes'Bee Pro and Dadants' Brood Builder, but there may be. I don't know of any home recipies to make subsitute pollen, except some use brewers yeast. Attempting to build up your bees in Febuary sounds agressive, but I have not raised bee in your region. I agree with MB that bees will only take pollen/subsitute when they want it. I much prefer dry feeding, but I am in a warm region with lots a "fly time" available in early spring. I suspect pattys may be the best alternative in Febuary in South Carolina. Addition of real pollen and honey may make he bees take patties faster. Feeding stimulative sugar water when it is quite cold may result in the sugar water either granulating or, if it sits a long time, it may ferment. I think you would have a much better chance of bees taking the syrup with an interior feeder, instead of open feeding.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well slap me stoopid. I reread your post and I now realise you are in Washington, not South Carolina. I don't think I would change my response though.
Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts