Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to place some pollen substitute, brood builder in powder form, out in the open for the bees. Do I have to treat it like sugar water and keep it 100 yards away as to not set off robbing? Or does pollen not set off robbing?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You are better off making it into patties and placing on the top bars. I have seen them go after spilled pollen from traps...in the spring I guess they could get pretty frisky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have experimented with feeding dry pollen substitute, myrecipe,and some other dry powdery stuff before and I am still in the process of doing this this year. It does not matter where you place the food tray. No fighting has been observed. Originally I placed the foodtray on top of one of the hives. Now I am placing the trays about 100 yards away where I have better supervision.When I fed myrecipe two years ago, bees from the whole neighbourhoud came to feed as one on my trays contained a white fluffy recipe. As our Honey Queen stated at one of our meetings the bees get electrostaticxly charged during flight. When they landed on my fluffy recipe tray they got coated with the white powdery stuff and thus we could trace from where they came.
I am preparing a video clip showing the results and you will be astonished.
Make sure when you feed a dry polen substitute that the bees have a chance to fly up so that they can transfer the pollen to there pollen baskets. This is done in flight.
Janvanhamont

·
Registered
358 Posts
I,ve been feeding Megabee open now for the last couple of weeks. (With exception of last few days, been cold here.) They love it. Where's Spring? I'm ready to play Bee.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am in Philadelphia, which is about an hour south of you, and my bees are bringing in pollen every day thats warm enough to fly. I really don't thinkyou will need pollen sub. in our area.

Johnny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts