Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some pollen being brought in. can i still sprinkle some dry pollen sub on the landings or open feed pollen sub as well ,or should i only let them bring in their own from foraging ?

i want to get them up and running because i really feel this is going to be a great year for harvesting honey this year...in my area. (S.E. Kanas)

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is no reason to feed them pollen substitute when they have the real thing.
So if they are bringing in pollen then I don't need to worry about feeding them a substitute to stimulate brood rearing? My bees are bringing in maple pollen currently. Not every bee but probably every 10th bee.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I have a different opinion from the estimable Mr. Bush but I feed pollen patties as long as they will take them. Pollen is not coming in at night and during a cold rainy or snowy week. The bees are riverboat gamblers by nature and may start more brood than they have real preferred pollen to feed them. The sup is not as good but it is better than not enough real pollen. When the bees no longer take any of the pollen patties, then I figure they don't need them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I started a thread some time ago asking what type people use, and one person commented that they open feed substitute in colorful plastic bowls, and if it doesn't get much attention he stops. That may help, full disclaimer I'm new to this and just regurgitating information that I've received.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Randy O is just finished with some control trails with pollen sub..... some with sub some with out, the finding are crystal clear, that is, to some there crystal clear. :)

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
The sup is not as good but it is better than not enough real pollen. When the bees no longer take any of the pollen patties, then I figure they don't need them.
Maybe, maybe not. Bees hoard. A lot depends on location. Here, pollen is never in short supply. Bees will continue to take either syrup or nectar as long as they have a place to put it. I find they will also store copious amounts of pollen as well, whether it's immediately needed or not.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
A few years ago on Bee-L, Allen Dick mentioned that bees on pollination contracts were often fed sub in order to reduce the amount of (presumably pesticide laden) collected pollen the bees would bring in. This was before the current discussion about fungicides, if I recall.
I've never heard anyone else mention this, but I thought it was a fascinating comment...I have no idea what it was based upon.

deknow

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
"Randy O is just finished with some control trails with pollen sub..... some with sub some with out, the finding are crystal clear, that is, to some there crystal clear."

I've been waiting for the results of this trial that Randy talks about on his site. I thought the results would be out in February. Anyone know when they'll be ready?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Maybe The trial isn't over yet, because he isn't getting the scientific result he wants--Yet--

I couldn't resist that one...It's all good....:)

==McBee7==

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If you are planning splits and your goal is to build up your colonies early by stimulating with pollen sub, it makes sense. For honey production, nature seems to have everything timed out perfectly with natural pollen showing up at the right time to ensure peak performance during the nectar flow. That's a local observation on my part of course.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i would think location would be important in deciding to feed pollen sub, here it can get nice and warm early and all the flowers come out then it rains day and night for 4 weeks and the bees never get out again and can easily go through all their stores because they started rearing before the rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts