Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just mixed up a bucket full of pollen sub attempting to follow the easy recipe Kamon Reynolds did a video on of 32lbs syrup to 15lbs dry sub, however I didn't realize he was using such a thick syrup and I used 1:1. The mixture was very liquid still, so I added more dry sub until it got to the right consistency (somewhere around 2lbs more I believe). Is there a problem with a more protein-heavy patty like this?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,154 Posts
You could give some to the bees and they'll tell you what they think. Otherwise, you could add back in the appropriate amount of sugar and water to get the recipe back to where you wanted it (now accounting for the extra 2 lbs of pollen and perhaps you should have added sugar AND pollen in the mixture to get it back to the recipe.) If you didn't mix a lot, however, it may be best to just start another batch and see how the bees prefer it over your current one. Maybe do both?

I've never had luck mixing a batch the bees will take. They just throw it out the entrance as "junk". I must be a bad chef. Now I just buy the 50 lb bulk boxes from Mann Lake and the bees take it down nearly as fast as I can put it on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could give some to the bees and they'll tell you what they think. Otherwise, you could add back in the appropriate amount of sugar and water to get the recipe back to where you wanted it (now accounting for the extra 2 lbs of pollen and perhaps you should have added sugar AND pollen in the mixture to get it back to the recipe.) If you didn't mix a lot, however, it may be best to just start another batch and see how the bees prefer it over your current one. Maybe do both?

I've never had luck mixing a batch the bees will take. They just throw it out the entrance as "junk". I must be a bad chef. Now I just buy the 50 lb bulk boxes from Mann Lake and the bees take it down nearly as fast as I can put it on!
Really, what recipes have you tried? Yeah, I guess I should've mixed in sugar but I didn't realize why it was off until after I mixed in the extra dry sub. It is quite a bit haha, I'd have to separate it into 2 buckets to try and adjust it since it's at the top of the bucket around 52lbs right now.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,154 Posts
Oh boy, 52 lbs is a lot! Maybe divide it out into two batches. I'm sure you can easily figure out what you need to add if you compare the recipe to what you did and adjust from there. Sounds like it will just be a lot of sugar with enough water to mix it in. How much sugar is what you'll need to figure out.

I sure hope you have a LOT of hungry hives! You should update your location so we know what you're up against. Here in Coastal CA I'm adding about 4 lbs of patties a week and we just hit our best flow of the year - while a lot of the country is entirely frozen.

And I've tried a few buckets of Ultra Bee and Bee Pro without luck. Maybe I wasn't mixing it with thick enough syrup? I don't exactly recall as I gave up years ago and the stuff I'm buying is cheap enough and lasts me a full year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in SE Idaho so still frozen for awhile here, the sub should be good for quite some time though and I plan to put some patties on in March.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,154 Posts
Gives you plenty of time to perfect your recipe!

And I started keeping bees in Logan, Utah - where I went to school. Originally from SLC. Beekeeping there couldn't be any different than where I am now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts