Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a nice warm day yesterday, so I took a peek to be sure my colony had food which they did. I added one more patty just to be safe, but not really sure if that was needed. The hive was super active, loaded with bees. Lots flying.

I saw lots of bees coming back to hive with pollen. Here in north/central New Jersey there isn't much in bloom other than a handful of small, early flowers, crocus etc, but it doesn't see there is enough to generate that much pollen. So where is this pollen coming from?

IMG_0558.jpg

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I would guess colts foot or skunk cabbage, but not from your area. Look along roadsides or just into a wooded area. Yellow, I assume?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, yellow, see the pic. We do have a lot of skunk cabbage around, lots of wetlands in my immediate area. But I didn't realize it was in bloom yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
skunk cabbage might be approaching end of bloom, but possible. colts foot looks like a dandelion, but very short stem with bright color pollen. yours looks dull in the picture. likely elm or one of the maples. mine were bringing back the same yesterday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have lots of maples, sugar and silver. They are budding, but can the bees draw pollen from those buds?

I have not seen anything that looks like coltsfoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts