Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the color, smell and taste of my pollen has changed! It is almost like smelling oranges. The pollen color is predominantly dark orange and it tastes fruity, quite a bit like the taste of last years first honey extraction which was excellent. Could this be blackberry pollen perhaps?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The more I hang around here, the more I feel like a noob. Gotta ask:

You taste the freaking pollen as it comes in? My bees come in heavy and scamper in as fast as their little bees knees will move with the saddle bags full. I suspect that trying to snatch a sample would end badly.

Oh. Wait.. Pollen trap?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
"You taste the freaking pollen as it comes in? My bees come in heavy and scamper in as fast as their little bees knees will move with the saddle bags full. I suspect that trying to snatch a sample would end badly."

Actually you need to set little tiny leg traps, and when you catch one they are stunned enough that you can peel off the pollen basket without a problem.

They also drop a little onto the screen bb insert, so I don't need to use the leg traps often.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Black berries are just opening up here and I too have noticed the differance in the pollen.
Tastes good too. ...Rick

·
Registered
186 Posts
I love the smell of honey comb in the morning! Recently, I decided to get some burr comb off the a frameless comb that I have decided to let get funky and see how they will draw it out in one hive . . . anyway, it was Beeliscious as it had both honey and red/orange pollen in it (don't really know the source, though).

Pollen is the way to go . . . I have never tried it until this spring.

·
Registered
918 Posts
ScadsOBees,

Now you've done it! PETA will step up their efforts to outlaw beekeeping now that they know that we use leg traps to steal pollen off of our girls. Shame on you for exposing our trade secret.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ScadsOBees,
Do those leg traps need to have teeth like a bear trap or will a smooth jaw trap work ok?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts