Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a front porch pollen trap. It warns of Penncap-M Micro encapsulated Pesticides

Is there a safer time in the season to trap pollen? I Want to try it for the first time.
Would I see the pesticides mixed in with the pollen?

Is there a time in the growing season when this is less likely to be a factor?

I have no way to know who uses what in my area. I live in town but there are farms with in a few miles. Any info would be appreciated it. Thanks in adavance VirginiaWolf

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
They put Sevin and other nasty stuff in those micro capsules. But, if the hive you are collecting from doesn't die, it is probably not present in the pollen. If it is, chances are your colony would die out and any pollen stored would poison and kill the next occupants too. It is something to worry about. But I don't know what you can do to stop it from happening any more than you can stop lightnig from striking. Talk to your farmers and see if they use it. But it will probably be someone protecting their sweet corn in the back yard that gets you. Sevin is being advertized heavy right now for those who "hate the bugs".

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Whose afraid. virginiawolf? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Collect pollen in the fall. Less pesticide application done then.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sqkcrk and vance G I appreciate your responses. I got some bee pollen before I had bees and I take some everyday it's fairly local. I'm almost out so it's time for me to try to get some from my hives. The bees seem healthy no problems but trying to be careful. I wanted to try to understand the pesticide factor a little better.
sqkcrk Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Quick:) Collect pollen in the fall. Less pesticide application done then Makes sense!
Wolf Virginia

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
PennCapM is used on corn, sweetcorn I believe. So, if none of that is grown in your area, maybe you would be safe from exposure to it. Are you in an agricultural part of PA? You could have your pollen tested. But then, maybe you'd swear off of it. Bees are pretty indiscriminant about where they get what they need from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts