Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a strong preference for which brand of pollen patty/protein sub is Best in a cell builder? I'm not finding many research articles on the subject, and I plan to do a queen rearing class next February and want to give the students the best one, if there is one.

I used UltraBee myself this year and kept a small piece on the entire queen rearing season in the cell builder. My 8 Fr deep cell builder was in constant use making 10-15 cells each week. I've since seen Randy's piece on pollen subs for late winter build up and Global patties seemed to be the clear winner and I got my hands on the Hive Alive pollen patty that is made with Global patty 15% pollen. I tossed a couple of small pieces into the last rounds of queen cells in August. I think they took them down faster than the UltraBee (I certainly had nothing left the following week that had SHB larvae in it). Now I'm not sure if it was just the "hive alive" product or if the Global patty was preferred by the bees.

So looking for opinions and articles that you might find.

·
Registered
8 Frame mediums throughout with 2 under excluder
7,644 Posts
I have used Global 15% patties in the past with very good results. I've also used trapped pollen with just enough syrup added to make patties out of it and it was even better. Both ways have been the best patties fed for me over the years.

The only commercial patties I've used was BeePro patties from mannlake. They did fine but I think the bees liked the more natural patties I mentioned above much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts