Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and see people saying pollen patties cause brood build up . Then I read and see it stated that brood build up won't occur without a nectar flow and until days lengthen. This seems to be contradictory and at odds with each other. I know that I have had a small pieces of patty on all winter they haven't seemed to build up unreasonably. Is there any simple answer to this.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The bees will feed the larvae the honey that is stored along with the pollen patty. That is why most starvation occurs in the spring as they try to brood up. Stores really get used up in the spring. As long as you have plenty of stored honey or supplemental sugar bricks, they will begin to make brood as long as there is protein (pollen) coming in. Once the natural pollen comes in, they won't touch the patties.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bees willing feed the larvae the honey that is stored along with the pollen patty. That is why most starvation occurs in the spring as they try to brood up. Stores really get used up in the spring. As long as you have plenty of stored honey or supplemental sugar bricks, they will begin to make brood as long as there is protein (pollen) coming in. Once the natural pollen comes in, they won't touch the patties.
What I was wondering about was where people say pollen doesn't cause build up unless there is nectar coming in also. Then again, if they are bringing pollen in there is probably nectar available also.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Nectar coming in is not necessary for a build up to begin. As long as there is stored honey and some protein (either pollen patties or natural pollen), the bees will begin brooding up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts