Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my bees today. This is a new hive so I have been feeding sugar water and pollen patties. When I checked today I seen small hive beetles running around and I seen larva in the pattie. How do you feed them without the shb getting into the pattie. Thanks

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I didn't know you could.

Why are you feeding pollen this time of year? Should be plenty for the little ladies to find on their own, even for a new hive.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I haven't heard that. I feed if I need to. If they have/bring in pollen on their own, why feed them?

If they are weak, don't have access to pollen, or need a boost, I'll feed, otherwise I let them go.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
For new hives you feed syrup. Pollen patties this time of year are nothing but SHB chum. Pulls them in like a magnet. In your locale I would only feed patties in early spring for buildup. And even then limit the patties in size to what the bees can consume in a couple days. As for right now, you need to get those patties out of the hive and dispose of them far away from your bees. You can kill the SHB by freezing for a couple days in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
463 Posts
that just paints a pretty mental image
When it rains/storms long enough, I've actually flyfished for the lizards in our yard. Barbless hooks...

+1 on keeping the patties smaller, and not this time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts