Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best advice on what type of patties i can make to drop in to get the numbers up and when everyone is introducing the patties.

Any insight and shared experience would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mega Bee is my favorite sub whenever I don't use my own recipe. I've got patties on my hives right now--but I am WAY farther south than you are. Best bet is to check with local beeks on the timing. Once you start feeding pollen, don't stop until the bees are bringing in plenty on their own. They raise brood on patties and if the patties suddenly disappear without any pollen to replace it, that big new population can starve.

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mega Bee is my favorite sub whenever I don't use my own recipe. I've got patties on my hives right now--but I am WAY farther south than you are. Best bet is to check with local beeks on the timing. Once you start feeding pollen, don't stop until the bees are bringing in plenty on their own. They raise brood on patties and if the patties suddenly disappear without any pollen to replace it, that big new population can starve.

HTH

Rusty
Thanks Rusty,

Yeah im thinking we have a couple months to go before we have much activity here. id like to get a good jump on the season but i dont want to be premature either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DC Honeybees TV 1-22-11 Pollen Substitute Patties
in reference to Michael Bush, the sage of all things beekeeping, I show how I make pollen patties...with the promise that I will halt feeding once I see my bees bringing in their own pollen this spring. Here are the ratios described in this video:
1/2 lb yeast;
1/2 lb dried milk non fat;
1.5 lb soy flour;
1/3 cup canola oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
a multi vitamin

This recipe in the video made about 5 lbs of patty dough.

This is a recipe in my notes, with references sited. So, it's not mine, but I've used it late Feb last two years, successfully.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Mike if that is with free shipping that is a pretty good deal. I am close so freight is not big but I really like the products from globalpatties.com in Butte Mt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mann Lake is pretty close so it is convenient. It seems to be very good because they like it a lot and its nice to be able to feed more than 1 or 2 lbs. at a time and not have to feed constantly.

I can't convince any beekeeper near me to buy them with me to lower costs but either way it's not at all expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts