Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what acceptable levels look like and if its anything to worry about? :scratch:

Usually I have seen lots on each bar but todays inspection looked thin, but it has been a very wet week.... I can see a little very dark pollen (clover?) in places but mostly bare. here are pics of bar 10 ( 4 bars in from the edge of brood ) of the otherwise booming 38 day old virgin queen TBH. :applause:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice pictures! As the brood on the comb is mostly capped all of their pollen needs have been met, at least until they emerge. I'm on my second year with two top bars and I worried about the same situation. It seemed in the first year there was less pollen. It was mostly concentrated on bar #1,I have end entrances.
If I am reading correctly, your hive is 38days old and your hive has 14 bars with comb, even if Regardless, the comb in the picture looks like fresh wax. That would indicate that the bees are collecting (or being fed) nectar. They will spend time doing this to build up the wax.
Bottom line everything looks good nice brood pattern and plenty of capped honey for a rainy day.
Fabian

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
My strongest well off hives have about 2 solid deep frames of pollen, usually towards the outer edge of the box like a honey frame. Then whatever is sprinkled in with brood frames.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Charlie if they are rearing brood they need the pollen that's normal. Workers are fed pollen also. They need pollen to produce royal jelly to feed the queen and larvae. Pollen is their protein, honey is their carbs. Things are looking good! Good job Charlie:applause:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies :)

I did not go through any further but I will check the first couple of bars next time. could be it is being relocated as you mention now the hive has more structure.

Its actually 18 bars of fresh comb, brood starts at 14 presumably until bar 1 or 2 so yes, pollen must be in high demand! seems like I picked a good year to start :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts