Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My queen was up and laying in the supers and now that the girls are filling the top with honey, they are forcing her down to lay in the lower supers and deep. I do see scattered Pollen in the Honey Supers.

What happens to the Pollen Cells -- Will the bees remove it for later food for the brood and backfill those cells with honey? Thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
Bees tend to move honey around at will, especially if it's not capped. They hesitate more if it's capped. They tend not to move pollen at all. They will consume it, but they don't ever seem to move it. I'd keep an eye out for those if you are extracting and put the ones with pollen opposite each other... they tend to make things lopsided...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't be extracting honey until mid-July.

Some of the frames, the girls have put a few pollen cells among the honey frame. If the girls haven't consumed the pollen, Can I extract the honey or do I need to dig the Pollen out first? I will be straining my honey. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your strainer should take most if not all the pollen out. I'm sure all raw honey probably has some pollen in it. This is what makes it more appealing for allergy treatments in your local area.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts