Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we finally had some reprieve from the unseasonably cold weather that we have had lately in Massachusetts. My bees were flying like it was summer. I noticed that they were bringing in pollen. Where, after several frosts, do bees find pollen at this time of year? It was light yellow, if that helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always thought that dried up flowers could still have some pollen on them, at least for a while, going into Winter.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
24 degrees zapped the winter camellia that was in full bloom last week. Yesterday it got up to 65 degrees and I saw many worker bees all over the "melted" camellia flowers trying to get what pollen they could. They must have succeeded because I spotted a few coming back to the hive with small loads of pollen. Worker bees were also attempting to sip the last dried up dregs of nectar from the Mexican bush sage.

On another note, I added candy boards to each hive on Saturday...and they were all over them in glee. I am noticing on this warm Monday that the bees are out enforce at the water feeders. Apparently, they still need water to dilute the fondant to turn it into usable food. Make sure you have available water for the bees on these warm days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yesterday my ma. bees were out getting pollen also. There were so many it was just as you describe, summertime. the temps were 50ish. they were the bigger older ones. maybe their last lifetime chores.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
forgot to mention it might be english ivy too. any of that still blooming in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ya, on warmer days mine have still been bringing in goldenrod (likely) even though the plants are all dead i'm sure there is pollen hanging around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts