Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bees flying a little today during warm afternoon. The crazy things are coming in with pollen....a few of them actually loaded with pollen! Guess something is blooming in the dead of winter! :s

·
Registered
641 Posts
Red Cedar here, or so the paper reports. Mine are also flying, but, here bees fly year round on warm, sunny days.

Looking at my bees today, I am surprised how small most are. My hives feel lite so have started sugar block and pol. sub. feeding. Thinking about sugar syrup but need good timing on that.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
They could be gathering bird seed dust from the feeder, that was the first thing that my bees brought in last year, but maybe yours are actually getting some pollen from something in your area, not real familiar with what blooms early down your way.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
My friend has red maple and mayhaw starting to bloom in his yard near Beaumont.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here in Northern California it's been in the 70's with almost no rain all winter. Tons of activity as the eucalyptus is blooming along with lots of other flowers. Many keepers have already put on honey supers. I even saw drone brood in a hive over the weekend.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well here to the naked eye everything looks dormant! I do not know what they are getting but the ones that have been flying a little are certainly gathering something.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Around here, right now, we're getting pollen, from wild mustard/rape (light yellow), and creosote bush (orange). Both are providing a light nectar flow, too. Also, early Winter rains have inspired a green carpet of other wildflower seedlings. If temperatures stay mild, and/or moisture levels remain high, other wildflowers could provide us a strong, late Winter, early Spring flow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also in northeastern NC and on warmer days mine have been working henbit and winter huneysuckle which are both blooming now. The winter honeysuckle is just one bush in the yard but the henbit is plentiful in the ag fields this time of year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am also in northeastern NC and on warmer days mine have been working henbit and winter huneysuckle which are both blooming now. The winter honeysuckle is just one bush in the yard but the henbit is plentiful in the ag fields this time of year.
Silver Maple is a week away with some 50 degree days and same with henbit, but with the forecast it may be two weeks away. After that elm trees will be popping which is a good pollen source.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sweetbox is on here. The flowers are too small to see but I can smelled it on a sunny day this week. Also we have Filberts (Hazel nuts) that are a wind born pollen. They grow wild and this is their season.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Checked my hives yesterday. I have some small spacers on the top to place sugar. On several of the hives, there was new comb with nectar in it.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts