Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I need to find a way to grind up pollen into a fine powder so the bees can take it up. I found that if I don't grind it up, the bees are unable to carry it due to its unground size. I purchased a flour grinder but it didn't work and the pollen simply rolled over the top of the grinder bar.
The method I end up using is with a wire screen and a spoon to grind it up as much as possible and then run it through the flour grinder to fluff it up.
This method is very time consuming and it hurts my hand after 30 minutes of grinding.
What is the easiest method to grind up the pollen? Amazon has some grinders but they are more for grinding herb and not small pollen grains.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't see any need to grind it up, the bees take it just fine when mixed in with my pollen sub patties that I feed in spring.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't see any need to grind it up, the bees take it just fine when mixed in with my pollen sub patties that I feed in spring.
I open feed my pollen and don't make patties. The bees seem to go more for the raw pollen as long as it is fine enough for them to pack in their pollen baskets.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
OK I am inexperienced but I thought that bees were designed to collect intact pollen? Certainly no one is grinding it for feral bees that have been managing for quite some time.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Pollen does not come off any plants in little dried up balls that have been mixed with nectar for binder. I would be inclined to mix it into moist pollen substitute and that will break it down enough the bees can bite off chunks. But that needs fed internally close to the brood cluster.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Coffee grinder-blade type is what I use, haven't tried a burr grinder. Good for small batches only though. I open feed too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I am inexperienced but I thought that bees were designed to collect intact pollen? Certainly no one is grinding it for feral bees that have been managing for quite some time.
The microscopic pollen grains that are collected by the bees are compressed via a knee joint on their back legs before it is put in their basket. The compressed pollen balls collected by beekeepers in their pollen traps contains thousands of individual pollen grains.
It is these compressed balls that I am trying to loosen up so the bees are able to re-pack it back into their baskets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts