Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the term pollen frames mentioned several times now and I am perhaps a bit worried.

Are there suppose to be entire frames of pollen as there are of honey?

I only see some pollen on and around the brood frames. I see some on the perimiters/corners of the capped brood frames even when they are partially hatched out or have uncovered eggs in them also. And on frames that are a mixture of eggs and capped brood on a given side, but I have no frames that are entirely or even mostly filled with pollen.

Should I be concerned. Do I need to order pollen replacement for winter? My bees seem healthy, and I see waves of brood emerging and getting replaced by eggs and the cycle repeating and on the rest of the frames in the brood deeps there is honey. Additionally they have drawn out foundation and filled a supper each and one is on the second supper.

·
Registered
201 Posts
my strongest hives have frames with nothen but bee bread, but for the most part its seem to stay around the brood frames.

hive I relocated yesterday from a over hang on house had about 5 pices of comb 8 in tall and 16" long nothen but pollen. guy sprayed it before he called me but I pulled 195lbs of comb and honey and 20lbs of brood comb and pollen. almost no bees no brood and no queen. im sure it was a big hive but that's the most bee bread ive seen in a hive. to bad he wasted all that honey.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my strongest hives have frames with nothen but bee bread, but for the most part its seem to stay around the brood frames.

hive I relocated yesterday from a over hang on house had about 5 pices of comb 8 in tall and 16" long nothen but pollen. guy sprayed it before he called me but I pulled 195lbs of comb and honey and 20lbs of brood comb and pollen. almost no bees no brood and no queen. im sure it was a big hive but that's the most bee bread ive seen in a hive. to bad he wasted all that honey.
ha i had a guy call me a couple of days ago with a removal. he flat out said he had sprayed it before calling me, so i told him that he did no good by spraying them and to call someone else. i did a removal 2 months for a guy that had tried to spray a huge colony in one of the columns supporting his deck. since he had sprayed it, i figured there was not going to be anything to salvage, so i charged him a ****eload to do that one, also as a sort penalty for spraying bees that had been living there for at least 3 years according to him. can you tell people that spray hives irritate me?

·
Registered
201 Posts
ha i had a guy call me a couple of days ago with a removal. he flat out said he had sprayed it before calling me, so i told him that he did no good by spraying them and to call someone else. i did a removal 2 months for a guy that had tried to spray a huge colony in one of the columns supporting his deck. since he had sprayed it, i figured there was not going to be anything to salvage, so i charged him a ****eload to do that one, also as a sort penalty for spraying bees that had been living there for at least 3 years according to him. can you tell people that spray hives irritate me?
LOL. I charged him 450 to remove the comb. I usually charge 250 starting on a hive plus bees and honey and $10 a foot high. people tell me their going to spray them all the time, they try to scare me into doing a removal for nothing. ive even had a couple call and try to sell me the bees out of their walls. all that said I have fell for the" if you dont come get them ill spray" thing but its a lot of wrok and most of the time it take 5 to 8 hours to do it right. Even then its not 100% youll get the bees to stay.( I have had about 5 leave after relocating )

I hate tree hive the most lol IMAG0051.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
LOL. I charged him 450 to remove the comb. I usually charge 250 starting on a hive plus bees and honey and $10 a foot high. people tell me their going to spray them all the time, they try to scare me into doing a removal for nothing. ive even had a couple call and try to sell me the bees out of their walls. all that said I have fell for the" if you dont come get them ill spray" thing but its a lot of wrok and most of the time it take 5 to 8 hours to do it right. Even then its not 100% youll get the bees to stay.( I have had about 5 leave after relocating )

I hate tree hive the most lol View attachment 13046
i had 2 removals abscond this year, not completely abscond since bees covering the removed brood stayed behind, but the queen and everyone else left. really irritating since i take the value of the bees into consideration when pricing it for them. i had another removal swarm and fail to requeen itself. what a pisser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts